View Single Post
Old 11-07-2002, 07:20 PM   #434
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

**** Harad/Umbar - Al-Gareth & Gramil ****

Quote:
‘You have my personal offer of support.’ he said clearly, ‘And the support of Gondor as well. I will meet with my Ministers tomorrow, early. And once the general Audience with all the countries is finished, we will be able to present to you all a detailed plan of how Gondor can give its aid.’
Al-Gareth's eyes fell as he heard the words, bowed under the weight of what it meant. It was not certain Nurn was free, no, nothing was certain. But for the first time there was more than just hope. His eyes lifted and he met those of King Elessar, King of Gondor; he saw more than just a powerful ally in that steady gaze. Here was one he could trust.

Though it had seemed so long, so much rested upon the outcome of this Audience, this pivot point of the future of three kingdoms, it was in reality surprisingly brief. King Elessar did not dither in his decisions.

King Fuinur and Herumir were heading in their own directions, with talk of wine and celebration. Jarl had matters of his own to attend, concerning the son of the King of Dale. Al-Gareth wanted to learn more of the lad. Jarl hadn't mentioned him in their travels, but the young man had a ready smile and easy manner Al-Gareth liked immediately. Informal and familiar, like much of Nurn. And they were of an age. Al-Gareth, if he saw his throne, would see Girion become king in turn.

In the entry hall to the audience chamber, Urkan nodded to Al-Gareth, once, a light of satisfaction and certainty in his face. Urkan for one had no doubts of the outcome of the coming conflict; for him the strength of prophecy declared it done.

As Al-Gareth strode from the hall, Al-Hafez fell in step easily behind him. They went down the marble stairs, out into the open air. A small white tree bloomed in a carefully tended courtyard, seemingly surrounded on all sides by sky. Al-Hafez didn't ask how it had gone. He knew.

There was much to be done. They needed to gather Al-Gareth's network of spies. There were troop movements, strategy and supplies to plan, but that could come later. For now Al-Gareth had another matter to attend to. There had been one missing from the Audience.

He sought out young Garlin and Ethar, as inseperable and as much troule as ever. Ethar pointed him to a thin, tall figure, two levels up in the palace.

Al-Gareth found Gramil leaning on a railing, staring southeast. Seagulls danced in the breeze below their dizzying height. From here they could see the thin brown line of the Harad road, one of the great works of Gramil's people.

"You did not come." It was a statement of fact rather than a question. Gramil smiled.

"I am not an important man," Gramil said mildly. "It's not my place to trouble the councils of the great. I am just a trader. And a retired one at that. I've only done what I had to - what anyone would do."

Al-Gareth turned east, towards the dark of the mountains which marked the borders of his country. He was getting used to thinking of it as his country. No, not anyone, he thought.

He squeezed Gramil on the shoulder and said, "Thank you."

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]