View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #41
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Cynan sighed deeply and gazed down at Grimm's friendly face, stroking the black head absently. "My papa is dead," said he, "and my mamma is very sick. She will not die, though," he added fiercely, clenching his fists. He looked up at Kellan and relaxed a little, smiling. "I apologize," he said. "The neighbors are always whispering that my mamma is dying of a broken heart. My mamma is not dying, though."

"Of course not," Kellan murmured.

He looked up at her, his face full of curiosity and puzzlement, yet there was the faintest twinkle in his eyes. "How can you say that when you have never seen her? How do you know she is not dying?" Then he laughed. "Again, I apologize," he said. "You should think if anything caused my mamma to die it would be my persistant teasing." And the twinkle in his eyes grew greater.

He found it easy to jest about his mother's illness, for he was more than confident that she would grow better, but deep in his heart it weighed upon him. If all the madness of the gossiping neighbors was true and his mother did die, he would be left the eldest in his family at only eleven years old. He did not see how it was possible to care for them in such a situation. But, of course, his mother would not die. The only difficulty was to find some work to support his family, for their money supply would not last forever. He glanced sideways towards Rochadan and an idea sprung into his head. Maybe the stablemaser would appreciate more than one help about the stable.

"Miss Kellan, it has been more than an honor to meet you," he said, getting to his feet, "and to be perfectly frank I should not leave your company except that I feel it might be polite not to overstay my welcome. If you would like me to stay," and here another twinkle, "I would surely be pleased to. Yet if you no longer desire my presence, I will bid you farewell with such a courtly bow as is rarely seen in a young boy like myself." He was smiling very broadly now, and his eyes were sparkling with such mischief that it was a wonder they didn't spark themselves out. "What do you say?"