View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #25
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Interestingly, this Maugham secenario in a way was prophetic of The Name of the Rose- although there Eco, an established Literatus, was shoving two fingers at those of his colleagues who claimed detective stories were inherently lightweight and unintellectual.
Yes, I seem to recall an awful lot of people insisted they only read The Name of the Rose for the philosophy...

Quote:
But this hostility to 'fantasy' erupted when the LR was first published, long before the clones appeared.
True, but I believe "magical realism" is a fairly recent term, and by the time it appeared there was quite a good reason why a lot of people were suspicious of anything labelled "fantasy".

Anyway, the "magical realism" label was one of the great triumphs of marketing: "Fantasy? How can people read that junk? Now let me get back to this wonderful novel about psychic powers and supernatural beings."
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote