View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #38
Recoveryanonymous
Newly Deceased

Recoveryanonymous has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
That being said, and judging from the images I've seen, doesn't the mod largely use designs from the films? Their summary says:
"We use the films for inspiration, but base our visual design mainly on the descriptions in the books and the works of Ted Nasmith and John Howe."
but judging by the Rohan buildings, Treebeard etc it's still largely reminiscent of the films. I can see why it might be treading on a few toes in that regard.
I really don't think so. Warner Brothers wouldn't even allow a private release for just the developers.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/06/mi...se-and-desist/

I think WB felt threatened by the project and took legal action against it using whatever reasons they could conjure up no matter how flimsy. A private release would have allayed their complaint of Merp's effect on the market. Warner Brothers didn't care.
In any case, the movies only covered a limited portion of Middle Earth; Merp would be showing all of it. Many locations would be designed by the team. Based on Tolkien, of course, but the films couldn't really be a source of inspiration for Fornost, or Dol Amroth or a variety of other places.
There might be some similarities between Merp and the films in the design of the "iconic" locations, but didn't Alan Lee work on the trilogy too?
Recoveryanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote