View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 AM   #30
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril Castar

Castar and Brytta stopped in front of the White Horse Inn. Deneth stood by her mother's coarse red skirt hem. Today was the first day Brytta allowed her out of the house without a shawl, and the girl basked in the freedom and the returning caress of a spring breeze. She looked up at her mother, awaiting the time when her mother would say that she could run and join the other children that were enjoying the warm weather as well.

"Windheneb said that he would meet you here, then?" Brytta asked Castar. Deneth's father brushed back a loose strand of hair and nodded. "I thought I should get some shopping done. And do you mind if I fit a new dress for Deneth? She just seems to grow so quickly these days."

Deneth wrinkled her nose. If Brytta planned to get her a new dress, she would not be able to play with the other children. She looked to her father, who usually intervened in such matters.

"Oh, I think this dress should pull through for a little longer," Castar said, much to Deneth's relief. "If you want to buy a new one, of course..."

"Really? Do you think it will do? Well, I suppose it may. I can always buy the fabric and fit her later." Brytta turned to her daughter, who looked at her expectantly, "Deneth, I suppose you can go and play, then."

Not leaving her mother with the chance to go back on that thought, Deneth smiled gratefully at her father, then ran towards a group of her friends, leaving her parents standing in front of the Inn. Soon, their quiet moment was broken by a shout.

"Castar!" A dark-haired man wove his way through the crowd. Castar smiled at Windheneb and stood on tip-toe in an attempt to see whether his friend brought another girl with him this time. Sure enough, Windheneb was engaged in conversation with a pretty, dark-haired woman.

"Ah, Castar, this is Deoreth. Deoreth, this is my friend, Caster." Deoreth nodded and smiled. "Well, Deoreth, I must part ways with you now. I hope I shall have the pleasure of your company another day."

This time, Deoreth giggled a little as Windheneb kissed her hand. She bustled away through the crowds, carrying a basket with her. Brytta raised her eyebrows at her husband's friend, but refrained from speaking. Castar kissed Brytta on the cheek, and she blushed a bit, smiling as she left him.

"I see you are the same as always, Windheneb," Castar said, smiling at his friend.

"Oh, and you change?" Windheneb asked, nudging Castar as they entered the Inn. They sat at a table and each ordered ale from a girl that came to them.

"Excuse me?" Castar asked of the girl, "Do you know where Mistress Aylwen may be?"

"I believe she's around, Sir," the girl answered, "If you wait, I'm sure you'll see her."

"Thank you, m'lady," Castar said. When he turned back to Windheneb, his friend was looking at him with a spark of amusement in his eye. "What? We are friends."

"As I said, my friend," Windheneb said, "Some things never change."

"Oh, you stop it," Castar said, blushing slightly. However, he still kept an eye open for Aylwen.