View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #33
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hearpwine finished the last of his meal and drained his cup of water. Wiping the crumbs from his beard with the back of his hand he stretched out his arms and legs to their full length and allowed himself the luxury of a cat-like stretch that cracked each of his joints. He had been a long time in the saddle, and then he had done little but sit with Aylwen and sing and talk. He needed to work out the stiffness from his bones and warm up his voice a bit more if he were to be in top form for the Contest before the King. He picked up his plate and cup and walked them back to the kitchen himself as his mother had always taught him to do. His family had lands, but not a great amount, and the few servants they employed were better used in the fields and stables than in household drudgery.

The woman in the kitchen looked up in surprise as Hearpwine came in with his own mess, but quickly smiled and thanked him for the help. He deposited the plate where she indicated but asked if he might have another cup of water. She quickly brought him one and Hearpwine drained it in a single deep quaff. It felt good to have clean water from a well rather than having to stoop to suck drink from a creek. Now that he had arrived, fed, drank and sung, Hearpwine began to feel the need of those other civilising amenities that all travellers longed for at the end of the road: a bath and a bed. He chuckled softly to himself as he thought of all the time he had spent with the Innkeeper singing, when he should have also paid some heed to getting a room for himself. There’s more to life than music, I deem he thought. A hard truth, indeed!

He was about to ask the maiden about a room when a small snatch of music drifted toward him through the door to the yard:

"There's a piercing wintry breeze
blowing through the budding trees
and I buttoned up my coat to keep me warm."

Hearpwine’s heart leapt into his throat and he cried out with unmingled joy, much to the surprise of the kitchen maid! Without so much as a word to the startled woman, he rushed through the door and into the yard, looking about him for the source of the music. He ran around the side of the Inn and saw the bard Liornung at the door of the Inn with a young maiden. Crying out in a ringing voice, he rushed toward the older man, his arms already reaching to embrace him:

"The diamonds of the hoar-frost
Were sparkling in the sun.
Upon the falling leaves the drops
Were shining one by one.

"The hare lay on the fallow,
The robin carolled free;
The linnet and yellow finch
Twittered from tree to tree.

"All nature seemed rejoicing
That glorious morn to see;
All seemed to breathe a fresher life -
Beast, insect, bird and tree."

When he had finished he took Liornung in his arms and gave him such an embrace that it almost lifted the man from his feet. Laughing, Hearpwine let him go and cried out, “Of all the joys I thought awaited me here, I had not looked to see you! My dear friend!”

Liornung caught his breath and looked at the young man in shock and surprise. “I’m afraid I don’t have the pleasure of your acquaintance, friend,” was all he could muster.

Hearpwine’s smile was undeterred. “I would not expect you to remember me, for it has been many years since you came to my family’s small estate in the Westfolds, and I was but a small lad then. But your music it was that first moved me to set aside the paths of my family and become a bard. How fitting that you should be here to witness my triumph before the King tomorrow! Come, let me buy you some meat and drink – and then we shall sing the night through!”

Last edited by Fordim Hedgethistle; 03-24-2004 at 04:08 PM.