Thread: Evil things
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 03:34 AM   #72
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But Ainlindale states that Men are not bound by the Music, which is as fate to all things else. Illuvatar states that none may change the Music in his despite - not that none may change the Music at all. It can be changed, by Men (which probably accounts for Sauron's fear of Aragorn the Man, who has a freedom he himself does not have). This is our Hope in the world, a faint one admittedly, but real. Men can introduce change, if Eru agrees. The alternative makes the world a program which we are simply part of, & denies us freedom, & takes away our responsibility.

As to magic, well, Galadriel speaks of the deceits of the Enemy. Whether Magic is 'natural' is a vexed question. The various non human races have abilities, but could they be considered 'magic'? Magic as I understand it, is aquired supernatural power, as opposed to innate abilities, so I would say that Galadriel does not use Magic to operate her Mirror, but she does use Magic when she wields Nenya, because that power is not innate. Magic is any power which Eru has not given you or natural to you. The Rings ultimately have their origin in the mind of Sauron. Magic could be said to be natural on one level - it does exist in M.E., but that does not mean that all use of it is good or acceptable. It can be misused. The Magic of the Elven Rings is misused. Let's say that within ME, Magic properly used, is natural, & if misused, unnatural - ie, against the nature of the individual using it.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote