View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #81
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Yes her defense is impressive, but how is it more impressive than Elrond's defense of Imladris? Elrond without the help of his ring defended Rivendell against Sauron in person with his entire army at his back. This was Sauron using the One Ring.

It is Elrond, who takes out all 9 wraiths at the same time when they attempt to enter his realm.
Yes, but Elrond defended Rivendell with an army but not with his innate power.

Where it is said that he took out all 9 wraiths at the same time? That would be really impressive.
I know that the Witch King would not dare to face the white ring (Galadriel with nenya) and therefore went arond Lorien.

Quote:
"But the power of the White Ring he would not defy, nor enter yet into Lórien."
Quote:
Who told you the more powerful the more tempted you are? That is rubbish.
Yes, I agree, I said wrong, I think she maybe was the most in need for it, or she felt that she had the most need, Lorien was very dear to her and it surely hurt her to know that it would fade in the end. And therefore she was so tempted.

Quote:
Everyone had much to lose and much to gain by using the Ring and if we are honest none more so than Aragorn of Gandalf.
With Aragon I agree but why had Gandalf more to loose than Galadriel? I wouldnīt say itīs the case, if they would fail Gandalf wold just return to Aman, I doubt the Valar would punish him, it would not be after all his fault.

Quote:
Would not that have been a noble deed to set to the credit of his ring, if I had taken it by force or fear from my guest?

She does reject this train of thought, but at the same time she greatly desire Frodo to offer her the ring. Characters with pride without majesty do not.
I rather see Galadriel here being sarcastic. I donīt think she ever seriously considered doing that to FrodoI admit I have problems understanding what Galadriel means in that passage but I would interpret it this way:

„Would that not be nice proof of the Ring’s power if I took it from my guest by force or cunning?“

"Characters with pride without majesty do not" What do you mean? Galadriel, because she was proud was tempted, Arwen would not because she was majestic? I rather think Arwen wasnīt tempted, cause she never had the ambition of her grandmother and wasnīt interested in ruling people.

Quote:
You keep forgetting that the Vanyar were the ones, who actually defeated Morgoth.
Yes, but without the Noldor it might have been too late to save Elves and Men, they made the grondwork and hindered Morgoth to expand his might.

Quote:
It's a shame that more people would not be happy with living in a paradise with their friends and family. The Noldor were power hungry and influenced by Morgoth. In the end it cost them and they were forced to return to Aman anyway.
Itīs nice for some people, but other people just want more in life, they want have something they can call their own, for which they worked hard for, went through many dangers and can finally be proud of it. The kings were surely very proud of their kingdoms and it is a shame that all was destroyed. In Aman, everything is there from the beginning, you donīt have to work for it. Itīs not that the Noldor didnīt want to life in peace with their family, they just wanted to have it in ME and not be dependent on the Valar.

Calling them power hungry is too harsh, it sounds as if they come to ME and suppress every elf they meet and force them to accept them as rulers, I rather think that they wanted to prove what they are able to set up, without the help of the Valar. Itīs just a shame that the Valar reacted this way, OK, they went the same time Feanor went, but most didnīt supported him but still they all are treated equally, even those who are guiltless in the kinslaying, that is unfair.

Yes, in the end they all wanted to return to Aman, but then they never said that they wanted to stay in ME forever. That Valar should just have let them make their experiences and after that welcome them back (what they later of course did) IMHO the ban was unnecessary, it seems to me they felt insulted only because they didnīt followed their orders. It is their land and the elves have to follow their rules, but they are not their property.

Quote:
The Valar had said several times the elves were free to come and go as they pleased.
OK, but why not at the time it actually happened? Only because the hour is evil? OK, problem of the elves, not theirs.

Quote:
Manwe is King of Arda. It is his business. He is the king and rightful ruler. He is put there by Illuvatar and understands HIS will better than anyone else. That sort of reasoning is how Melkor became Morgoth.
Thatīs unfair, mortals donīt need to ask when they want to move away. Only because Nolor were looking for adventure and wanted a tiny bit of the land to rule doesīt mean one of them becomes the next Morgoth. I see that ruling wish as trying to see what you are able to, if you can built something of your own. For us, in our society, the need to realize ones full potential is quite usual. So why not for the elves?

Quote:
No the Noldor did many crimes and were rightly punished. They had a choice to reject the actions of Feanor and his people, but instead they followed him.
But there were the ones who were not guilty, so why should they return and not all followed Feanor, he may be the one who set all in motion, but most followed Fingolfin and the other princes, only because you go in the same direction doesnīt mean you follow the person.

Quote:
Tolkien is clear that there is a shadow over them. This first came about when Morgoth started spreading his lies. If they were wiser like the Vanyar or less proud like the Teleri they would have rejected him. Pride like always was the downfall for the Noldor.
You can not blame only Morgoth, the Noldor had something in them what make them restless and in need for more knowlege, Iīm sure they would have left at one point anyway, even without Morgoth or Feanor. Maybe it would have taken longer, for in one version Galadriel seems to be the first who had the wish to go to ME, sure there were others who wanted to see ME.

Quote:
She did indeed wish to depart from Valinor and to go into the wide world of Middle-earth for the exercise of her talents. ... This desire of Galadriel's was, it seems, know to Manwë, and he had not forbidden her; but nor had she been given formal leave to depart. Pondering what she might do Galadriel's thoughts turned to the ships of the Teleri, and she went for a while to dwell with her mother's kindred in Alqualondë
I doubt Galadriel was the one thinking about it.

Quote:
Manwe is the rightful ruler. It takes humility to accept that there are people in the world with a higher rank. Morgoth did not like this and the Noldor followed. Eru made it that way. Your words were the same lies that Morgoth told them.
I doubt Galadriel had a authority problem, she just had an other idea in how she wants to live her life.

I know she
Quote:
felt confined in the tutelage of Aman
but not because the Valar were the lords and ladies but becase there was nothing what she could achieve on her own, so she left.

Quote:
If they were wiser like the Vanyar or less proud like the Teleri they would have rejected him. Pride like always was the downfall for the Noldor
People who question the circumstances (the Noldor) are not as easy to handle like the ones who are yes-men and yes-women (the vanyar). Pride is not always bad, it depends on what you do with your pride, Thingol became proud and so was killed, Galadriel was proud too, but she didnīt fell as hard as her kin, but still she is described as extemely proud. You can be proud but still do the right thing. Her kin had the problem that they were proud but they lacked the tactical insight Galadriel had. Fingolfin went to a suicide mission and arcieved nothing with it (OK I know he was wounded for all eternity but that doesnīt lead to his downfall) and Turgon rejected Ulmos advise.

Last edited by elbenprincess; 12-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote