View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM   #91
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

I know of Moorcock mainly for his work in the New Wave SF but these links from davem are really inspiring me to read his most popular work, Elrick of Melniborné . From the Wiki article, it seems clear that an ideological bent causes Moorcock to favour Pullman. What I want to know is if Elric is as good a story as LotR.

Re: "seeing the world through enchanted eyes" Six of one, half a dozen of the other. If the enchantment causes men to forsake life and limb for an historical social order that is not only wiped away, but hypocritical, self-serving, and brutally abusive to the lower orders while demanding the sacrifice of the lower orders to keep the upper ones in power, then the fantasy offers a false sacrifice. Perhaps it all hinges on whether one bemoans the passing of the old European order? Or is something else involved?