Thread: Gay subtext?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2002, 02:53 PM   #122
Ghâshgûl
Pile O'Bones

Ghâshgûl has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally I don't have the impression that Tolkien put any gay subtext into LotR, at least not consciently.

But I wholly disagree with Rhuds argument that Tolkien didn't do so because he was a true Christian. Rhud provides a "proof" for this which could easily be modified to proove that Tolkien would never write about, say, eating swine. It goes like this:

1) Tolkien was a Christian.
2) Christian's believe the Bible and use it as a guide unto everything in life.
3) The Bible does not approve eating swine (see Deut 14,8, Lev 11,7)
4) Tolkien would not approve of eating swine. (from 1,2 & 3)

I consider myself as a Christian, and the Bible is for me a source of inspiration, comfort and truth. But for me, the most important part are the gospels. That means, the commandment "Love your neighbour as yourself" commands me not to condemn people just because God gave them another sexual predisposition - even if they are condemned by Leviticus (who also condemns eating swine) and Paulus (who was a good theologian but obviously had a problem with gays and women).

I wholly agree with Lush's opinion (Turambar, we should found a Lush fan club). I do so not because I consider her as a better source for a worldview than the Bible, but because her opinion is much closer to the words of a certain J.C. than some antiquated laws in Leviticus and some intolerant passages at Paulus.

Ghâshgûl

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ghâshgûl ]