View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
It's true that the writing is a physical aspect of the Ring, but, like in many other instances in the legendarium, the physical is but a reflection of the inner essence. I do not think the writing was there just for decoration (oooh, shiny letters!), so in my eyes it does decode its power and personality. And though its power is, as you say, Sauron's power, the verse does not read "One Lord to rule them all", it reads "One Ring to rule them all". The Ring, while still being part of Sauron, gets a sort of independent status.
Agreed. Indeed it sort of has to. If it didn't the sotry as we know it really couldn't come to be. If the ring was not sort of disconnected from Sauron, hiding it would probably be impossible (Sauron can sense when the ring is found generally , but if it didn't have a sort of independent existance, I tend to think Sauron would always be aware of EXACTLY where it was, much as you are aware (more or less) where you own hands are, getting it back would be sort of irrelevant (if the ring was merely a conduit for Saurons powers (allowing the wearer to tap them), as opposed to a vessel (holding those powers perpetually), then those powers would probably return to Sauron when the ring was not being used by anyone (say when it was in the river) or used by someone who really didn't know the extent of it's powers (i.e. pretty much everyone who did use it in the book and 99.9% of the denizens of Middle Earth who theoretically could wear it) and the concept of using it to overthow Sauron sort of a contradiction in terms (if the ring was not a seperate entity, and did not hold the power it did independent of Sauron then trying to use it to destroy him would be like trying to will someone to kill themselves, pretty hard to do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
In my opinion he didn't just carve letters, but he defined the Ring's essence. And, when I imagine it, I don't see him carving at all - I see him saying, and I see him, for lack of better word, breathing in his power. The writing is a conscious act as much as the transfer of power is, but it's not a message to anybody. It's more of a statement of being.
I think this is well borne out by the circumstances under which the inscription can be read. To be visible, the ring has to be put in a fire/heat source, then taken out and. On Sauron's own hand, the inscription was presumably always visible, since Saurons hands, if I recall, burned like Melkor's. Once removed however, it was unlikey that anyone would see it since the circumstances for revealing it would be bizarre, as few people in posession of a gold ring are going to toss it in a fire and then pull it out immediately (especially since they wouldn't know the ring cools down so rapidly after being in the fire) by the time they waited the time it would take a normal gold ring to be safe to handle, the inscription would probably be invisible again (It's never said explicity, but since Gandalf has to do the fire trick in the first place, I tend to thing the inscription fades rapidly once the ring is removed from the fire.) How Gandalf knows that will work I do not know (my best guess is that he read an account of the battle by Isildur or someone else that mentioned the inscription and its fading as the ring cooled, and simply worked out what would be needed to reveal it again) Even if someone did try to heat it (say a dwarf who didn't care for the workmanship and wished to smelt the ring for it's gold content) they probably wouldn't know what it said (few men or dwarves probably know Black Speech, at least the High form used by Sauron and his higher ups. Remember the version Orcs use is debased.) would assume it was some sort of Elven charm/curse and think no more of it. )
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote