View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #45
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
The initial question was between the LotR (not Silmarillion fex.) and the SoIaF.
Aw but that's not fair - if it's Martin's whole series, it should also be the entire Legendarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
While every plot detail does carry its significance, just about the only truly important part of ADWD was the last chapter where Dany finally understands the mysterious message of going back to go forwards. The rest was just too drawn out.
You're right there. He could've left out half of Dany's chapters and it wouldn't have done the book harm, quite the contrary, and she might already be taking over the throne in Westeros. (What do you mean I'm getting ahead of myself?) Anyway, When I look back, I am lost is the only character catchphrase I don't get perpetually annoyed with.

Also, would you like me to direct you to a particular passage that might be of interest to you regarding your favourite characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Strange. In fact, ASOIAF is one of the very few books I enjoy reading again.
I haven't actually reread any of the books, although I'm sure that will happen one of these days (or years, rather) - but when I eventually do, and when I occasionally leaf through the pages, it is, and will be, in search of information and little clues (because that's what I'm good at anyway). Tolkien, I reread primarily for the asthetics of it, although it's always a pleasant addition to find new interpretations for things you thought were obvious. Martin isn't the only one who leaves clues and has complex plotlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth of Sauron View Post
An over-complicated, contrived rip-off is NOT better that the LOTR masterpiece.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a rip-off. Anyway, you might find this thread interesting.