View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #36
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Kind of similar to the accuracy of opinion polls, I would just like to say gross receipts are misleading as well. Now any film worth something can sell billions of dollars in tickets. If you adjust for inflation the list of best selling movies would change dramatically, and Gone with the Wind would be #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
I am not altogether sure that Jackson has left some great legacy for future directors.
I would say that LOTR did set the standard for fantasy films. There were some fantasy films that came out before LOTR, but none of them led to the burst in fantasy like LOTR did and I don't think any fantasy film has made its mark on the genre since. Jackson has set the benchmark for the fantasy genre in a way that any fantasy film since has been compared to LOTR. The Golden Compass was not a bad film, but it flopped because it just wasn't LOTR. LOTR right now is the benchmark at least for any fantasy film.

Whether it lasts its too early to tell. Hollywood is constantly trying to out do itself with a "bigger" and "better" so LOTR could fade with time. It may have started with the new comic fad. There is a whole host of comic-to-movies that have come out and will continue to come out. Why are you ripping on Iron Man? Downey Jr. was casting perfection.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote