View Single Post
Old 03-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #230
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

AVANILL

The debonair trader kept his eyes upon the ground. He was not glad that he was surrounded by rangers, or the fact that Naiore was near. A strange clam passed over him though, the calm that came from making up his mind. He would stay true to his own oath this he hoped would bring him salvation, but no matter what fortunes the future would bring, either way the young trader knew he would have a challenge.

The new companions who came were strange indeed, a hobbit woman, who was referred to by Rauthain as Mrs Banks, as well as Kaldir the bounty hunter. Avanill recognised him from Bree and was sure that he had remained innominate enough for him not to be noticed.

He had not until now thought again of Toby, it was the excuse of finding him that had given Avanill his chance of escape. So it was with mild consternation that he had looked upon the hobbit.

Avanill sent a sideways leer to Toby, looking at him with the same look that made him formidable; as a player of poker may give when he was in possession of a royal flush, the kind that no man could tell what thoughts were looming behind his eyes. Avanill would have to be very careful of what he said, one slip and he would damn himself.

Presently he was lost, he could see that the bounty hunter and Rauthain as well as Mrs Banks were further ahead. “If you know what’s good for you Master Longholes you will hold your tongue!”, yes he reasoned that would do for now. It would give him time to think.

He began to think what Atantri would think of her son. No, Atantri would not be pleased. Everything he had learned as a boy was not in order now. His business, his life, his ideals meant nothing now. Everything that mattered was bringing down the elf. And who knows, All he needed now was by some act of fortunate serendipity, to run into Naiore alone and his life was forfeit.

Still leading Juta for the ranger, Avanill had followed the company and was greatly impressed by the beauty of the landscape, but something lingered around them and he took no second guess in saying that it was the presence of Naiore.

The mention of Barrold in the other’s conversation struck a chord with him. Though none would know it. He wondered whether he should peak of him to them and tell them of how he came to be here. He was distracted by the same eerie feeling inside his mind, which caused him to draw his sword slowly. He caught the eye of Mrs Banks seeming alarmed at the sudden violent movement. Avanill nodded at her. “Not to worry Ma’am, my mother always told me that I should have a steady hand waiting a surprise attack- ” he cut himself off immediately, realising what he had said, any mention of him being Atantri’s son would be another fatal move “From my brothers, I mean… they were older than I and very rough…”