View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #193
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Ishkur and Gwerr:

"So do you want to see an Elf, or not? I don't think you believe me. If we run into any trouble, we can both mount up on my horse and get out of here fast." There was a teasing note in Ishkur's voice, although he did not sound unfriendly.

"I should know better than this! But go ahead. Lead the way. If you're telling me a story, you will be sorry for it." Gwerr added, "I don't know whether to believe you or not. What's an Elf doing in Mordor?"

Ishkur shrugged his shoulders since he also had no idea what the Elf was doing in the slavers' camp. "I don't know. Maybe he's a friend of the slaves. That's what I thought."

Iskkur waved his hand at Gwerr to indicate that he should follow. Both orcs went on foot along the far western edge of camp and kept their distance away from any of the men. Ishkur led his horse behind him.

"We'd better not get too close," Ishkur warned his friend. There's a few of them down there, not elves but others. Probably all from the slaves' camp. The last thing we want to do is to draw attention to ourselves."

They found a pile of rocks where they could hide and sat down on the ground not too far from the stream bank. Gwerr peered out from behind the boulder straining his eyes to see. "There's nothing there, Ishkur. Nothing at all."

"Wait. Just wait. They were there a little while before, and I don't think they've left."

Gwerr leaned out even further and suddenly noticed several people who had just climbed up to the top of the stream bank. Several of them were short, but in the middle stood a tall distinctive figure. Gwerr stared and stared again and then whistled under his breath. "You're right, Ishkur. The tall one, he's an elf." Gwerr's fingers instinctively tightened around the hilt of his sword. The elf was so close they could even see his eyes.

"Tempting, isn't he? A nice clean target." Ishkur chuckled. Then he added, "It's been a long time."

"A long time for what?" Gwerr demanded.

"Oh, nothing. I guess it's been a long time since I've hunted elf." Ishkur growled, "This one gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. He's just like all the rest. Thinks they rule the world. Theyjust stare down their noses at everyone. Bah! What do the likes of you and me have to do with an Elf? But we can't risk attacking him. The whole camp will be on our necks. And I want to be around tomorrow night when the slavers clear out . There's two kegs of beer, I hear, and even one of honey mead."

"Alright, Ishkur. You've had your fun. Let's get out of here and back to camp. Then we can talk about tomorrow's raid. I'm all in if the slavers really do clear out."

"They will. For sure they will."

With that the two orcs turned south and headed back to the relative safety of the orc camp.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 09-23-2006 at 08:40 AM.