View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 AM   #56
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
In the end, all reasoning falls short. What we have as jet is:

- A vote from old times for changing "{Legolas}[Laegolas]"
- As far as I see two newer participants in the discussion that would vote for "Legolas", but not any of the old voters has shown even the smallest sign that he would take his vote back based on any argument brought forth

That means at least for the time being that we have to keep "{Legolas}[Laegols]".

But for the sack of the discussion:
Posted by Man-of-the-Wold:
Quote:
As for Legolas of Mirkwood, we know nothing positive about his maternal lineage or when he was born. It seems fair to say he was chosen for the Fellowship because he was representative of Elves as they still existed and to some degree flourished in Middle-Earth in the Third Age; even though technically an Eldar, in LoTR his Eldarin nature is at best downplayed.
I agree on this point, but he had not dinieable Sindarin roots by his father and Grandfather. Thus your further conclusion is not compelling to me. Specially since Oropher clearly down played his own being as Sindar as well.

Posted by Man-of-the-Wold:
Quote:
Also, while he was unimaginably ancient by our reckoning, he was not among those that had seen the happenings of previous ages.
This assumption is exactly the crux we have to deal with. Why? What made you feel he was a young Elf, as they count years? I find it very difficult to deal with this typ of overall impresion that people often bring forth in support of this argument. We have to keep in mind that we are dealing with a immortal race. Open mindness and continous interest in the wonders of the wide world might be considered as the special features that brought Legoals of Mircwood into the Fellowship of the Ring.

As jet I have not heard any argument that would give a no go for the possibility I showed of Legolas of Gondolin being the same person as Legolas of Mircwood. That alone is an interesting fact, if I consider that more than one of the old voters made it cristally clear that they dinied even the slightest possibilty of this. Were are now the persuasive line of argumentaion on which they base their sure assumption?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote