View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 PM   #56
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Oh Beleg, Book-Denethor *did* have almost pure Numenorean blood. The movie people decided for reasons best known to themselves to have Gandalf say that Denethor was just like Boromir. In the book Gandalf says the opposite - he was more like Faramir, albeit corrupted. Was this a change for the sake of dumbing down, or for some other reason? Who knows....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
How is this? Faramir and Boromir had the same parents. One of which was Denethor. Boromir's ancestry is the same as Faramir's.

I get what you're saying about Faramir having received a much purer strain of Numenorian traits than his brother, but it would be wrong to say that Faramir is more Numenorian-like than their father.

Denethor was the most Numenorian-esque Steward in generations. It says so quite clearly in the books. It also says that Faramir takes after Denethor in this respect. Of course, they have totally different personal values, but that isn't a matter of blood...

*NOTE: I am, of course, referring to the real, book, characters, in keeping with the replied-to posts. In the movie, the fact that Denethor, Boromir, and Faramir are of Numenorian descent isn't even acknowledged, much less the fact that Denethor and Faramir had inherited many of its strengths.
I am looking for that part in the book right now, I'm pretty sure it says that.

And here's something.

Quote:
Denethor might well have approved of the learning of his younger son, but was angered by the way Faramir interpreted what he learned (with help in that interpretation by Gandalf, as Denethor correctly suspected). For Faramir discovered a different philosophy used by the old Kings and lived by that rather than the way his father did, an indirect way of calling his father wrong. Yet that same ancient philosophy may have been a part of the reason men and beasts both obeyed Faramir's commands. He believed in being completely fair even to trespassing strangers who would have been summarily executed by others, as in the case of Frodo and Sam. Faramir took the time to learn "why" and to act on compassion, rather than go strictly by the letter of the law.
Faramir also loved music. This, added to his interest in lore, made him seem less a warrior to others, yet it was not so. Rather he made battle with purpose, knowing exactly what he was doing.
Both Denethor and Faramir could see into the hearts of men, yet treated that knowledge differently. Denethor felt scorn; Faramir felt pity.

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote