View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 12:10 PM   #373
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Loëndë

‘Here! Let me hold the little ones for a while.’ Gilly reached first, with practiced hands, for the girl. ‘Amazing,’ she thought, as she pushed the soft blanket back from the little face and looked closely at her features.

Light grey eyes peered back at her brown ones, looking solemnly for a few moments at the large visage which loomed over her. A tiny, perfect hand and arm pushed out from the loosened blanket and stretched, the fist clenching, then relaxing as the baby yawned and closed her eyes.

‘It’s a wonder, isn’t it?’ Gilly said, turning to where Peony stood. ‘She looks much like the newborns back at home. Perfect, and lovable.’ She bent her head closer to take in the baby’s sweet scent. Her heart already half won over as the wee one settled comfortably into her arms.

‘So trusting,’ she murmured. Gilly’s fingers reached gently up to smooth back a few stray, damp dark curls that lay along the baby’s brow, as she whispered some soothing sounds. Her finger strayed down the soft cheek, stopping briefly at the dimpling near the corner of the little mouth. Greedy, as all babies are, for the comforts of their mother and a full belly, the face turned toward the light caress, lips seeking sustenance.

The Hobbit laughed in delight at the strong, insistent mouth, angling toward the promise of food. Pio smiled and reached back for her daughter. ‘This one is well fed and sleeping now. Take him for a while, and let me have the hungry one.’ The Elf gathered the now fussing, frantic chicklet to her as Gilly clasped the little boy, and sat down carefully with him in the rocking chair.

‘Oh, look at you! You’re just as handsome as your sister is beautiful.’ Hair dark as a raven’s wing at midnight crowned his head. At her words, his eyes opened and dark grey, they regarded her, as if taking her measure. ‘Am I up to your standard?’ she laughed, watching his serious face. ‘Am I acceptable, little master?’

His hand lay open and inviting at his side. She touched a finger to the palm, smiling as he grasped it strongly. ‘We are agreed then, to be friends, eh?!’ she said solemnly, kissing the little finger tips that clung to her own.

Peony grinned as she watched the second baby win the Hobbit’s heart. She nodded at the Elf, who had followed closely the interchange between Gilly and her children. Pio smiled and nodded back, glad that her final concern had been resolved just now. She had always known that the Hobbit would be a good caretaker for the little ones. Now she was assured Gilly would love them, too.

Gilly, drawn from her reverie by Pio’s voice, looked up from the now sleeping boy. ‘It sets my mind at ease, Gilly - that you will watch over them when I cannot.’ Peony took the napping girl from Pio’s arms and settled her in Gilly’s other arm. The Elf leaned forward, and regarded the Hobbit with a serious face.

‘They are new, little innocents in this marred and shadowed world. They trust you, Gillyflower Took. Keep them safe.’

Gilly took a deep breath, and nodding her head, accepted the charge. Pio smiled, watching her bend to give them each a gentle kiss on their brow.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]