View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #389
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

2 Cermië

‘Let Elanor and Rose keep Gilly company for now, Pio.’ Amaranthas handed the Elf a glass of cool cider, drawing her attention away from where the Sam’s two girls vied for a turn to hold the babies. ‘I’ve heard some news from the Boffin boys I wanted to talk about with you.’

The three ‘boys’, as she referred to them – Minto, now thirty-five years of age, and his two barely younger brothers had just come back from one of their twice a year trips to Bree-land. ‘Picking up a prize brood sow to pair with their boar, I think. Should have some fine hams and bacon come from that.’ While there, they had gone to The Prancing Pony to stay the night and catch up on local news.

‘It was odd, this time they said. They hadn’t been to the Pony in a good six months. It was different, or so it seemed to them. Not a lot of mingling between the Hobbit folk and the Big Folk. The Bree Hobbits talked in hushed tones about an increase in traffic through the area – scruffy men with an ill-favored look about them. Many of them seeking to join up with one of the Big Folk, one Bill Ferny.’

Pio looked questioningly at Amaranthas. ‘Bill Ferny? You speak as if you know of him?’

‘He’s a bad one, that shifty-eyed ruffian! A mean Man of the worst sort. Got involved during the Big War with that Sharkey fellow. Worked for him at one time as the warden for the Buckland Gate. His poxy thoughts have been festering ever since old Sharkey’s fellows were taken care of by the Hobbits here in the Shire. Ferny’s hated us Shire folk ever since is my opinion, and now he’s got something nasty going to get back at us. The Minto boys say it’s the general opinion among the Bree Hobbits that Ferny’s got his hand deep into these kidnappings and trouble making.’

‘How dangerous is he?’ Pio leaned forward, her eyes narrowing as she waited for Amaranthas’ answer.

‘By my books, he’s a schemer mostly, wants power and uses others to get it for him.’ Amaranthas sat back, taking a long drink of cider to freshen her dry throat. ‘He’s a weasely sort, I think. He’d be more likely to get some low sorts, muscle bound oafs with straw for brains, to do his dirty work for him. Though if need be, I think he could do in whoever stood in his way.’ Pio rubbed the back of her neck at the picture Amaranthas was painting for her. She willed herself to relax, knowing that Bird and Mithadan would be as careful as they could.

The twins could be heard fussing, despite the rocking and cooing the two girls were doing for them. Pio motioned Gilly to bring them to her – it was probably time for a feed and a rest.

She turned the conversation to a lighter subject as she nursed the babies. Amaranthas, as well as Elanor and Rose were happy to fill her in on what they new of the party that was in the works. Rose, especially, was a never ending source of information. With her charming demeanor, she was often innocently overlooked, and her little ears took in many conversations and idle comments. She loved to gossip and share what she had learned, and it was quite funny at times the way she presented her information – having misheard or misunderstood what she listened in on.

Late afternoon saw Frodo lad come to fetch his sisters. Miz Rose wanted her chicks home before even a hint of darkness fell. Safe and snug in their own burrow. Beyond the reach of any who might seek to do them harm.

Gilly and Pio stayed with Amaranthas for an early supper. And though she insisted she needed no help, they stayed to help her wash up and dry the dishes.

‘You know, Amaranthas,’ said Pio, crying the last of the mugs and placing it in the cupboard with its fellows, ‘I am not sure I will come to the party. It will be a long affair and the babies will be fussy, and I will start yawning just before noon, my eyes drooping and my interest flagging.’ She folded the dish towel, and hung it over the bar on the edge of the counter. ‘Perhaps I should just send Gilly to accompany you.’

Amaranthas told Pio that was the most harebrained idea she’d heard all day. ‘Of course you’re coming to the party,’ she said firmly to the Elf. ‘And when you and the babies are tired, you can all come over to my house and nap as long as you wish. It’s only a short walk to Sam’s, and you simply cannot miss your friends’ public exchange of vows. Not to mention all the people who will want to see your little ones.’

Gilly chimed in with how she wouldn’t mind bringing the twins to Amaranthas' if they got too tired, telling Pio it would be no trouble at all to watch over them and bring them back when they were rested.

Pio laughed, knowing when she was beaten, and relented. ‘We will all come, then!’ She gave Amaranthas a hug and gathering up her children loaded them and herself into the cart, letting Gilly take the reins and get them back to the Inn..

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]