View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Boromir the Eighty-Eight
The Two Towers Network (TTN)

Last year I had my very own Boro-blog, but this year was offered a highly coveted position at TTN. MESPN and the Arda Kicker Magazine are still nationally the cream of the crop, but I must say I was very impressed with the reach and influence of TTN. I'm at the glorious Tower of Ecthelion, which reaches many ears of soccer fans from Gondor all the way to the Shire. Then Minas Morgul, our sister station, in the East. From what I understand, those folks in Minas Morgul refer to us as the "sister station," because their ratings are far superior to the White Tower's. To put it in perspective for you, they don't have to contend with MESPN and AKM. Their followers in Mordor and the eastlands are very loyal, and at times fanatical. There was an incident here, last week, where some cult followers of Minas Morgul broke in and left fell beast droppings in everyone's desks. The White Tower's crew thoroughly sprayed strawberry-scented Beanomir Oil everywhere, but now it just smells like baked fell beast manure with a hint of strawberry. However, I am ready and waiting to get the Arda Cup started again, and especially excited to be at TTN.

What we will be bringing to you this year first, is four rounds of friendlies. These friendly matches are essentially exhibitions to give the players the opportunity to practice together, and gel as a team. They will be able to work together on strategy, and see what areas need to be improved on come tournament time. I would caution phantasy owners to not get too excited over their favorites, with the results of these matches, because most teams will not be competing at full-level. It will be interesting to try and see who can successfully pull off that balance of working hard to identify weaknesses, so come start of the Arda Cup they are playing at their highest-level, but not over-doing it now where they enter the tournament already sore and tired.

I was able to talk to many captains and players from the 32 teams to get a brief idea of what their expectations are for this year, and what they hope to see out of their friendlies. Starting with the teams from....

GROUP A

Aman- This is primarily a defensive group, and it's no different for Aman who has Turgon, the defensive mastermind captaining the team's defense. The question will be how will Ar Pharazon mesh with his new, primarily defense-minded team? Good news for Aman fans is it seems he has already won over Orome, who was leading "Zon!" chants at a team party and vowing to hook-up with him at every opportunity. Everyone knows it's not difficult to win Orome's favor, just buy him a 24 pack of Valaroma Premium Draft. However, they should also know Orome has the passion for the game and can certainly play it. If he's sincere, Aman will have a deadly counterattack, and it will be more than Orome chanting "Zon! Zon! Zon!" on the field.

Beleriand- Marach's plan is plain and simple, bog their opponents down. The stout men can run with anyone. However, he's a smart leader and knows his team is already capable of this, so during the friendlies he will be working on a cleverly designed offensive strategy. For in this group he knows 1-goal may be all that's needed.

Ithilien- I am told that Arda Cup officials have two primary security concerns with Ithilien. When fielding a team Beregond was prone to stab anyone who fouled his beloved captain, even if it was an innocent brush. One Gondorian had just slapped Faramir on the rear to congradulate him, but Beregond ran his sword through one of the guy's lungs. Beregond told Faramir it was an "honest mistake" and Faramir gave the deceased player's family, tickets to all of Ithilien's matches. League officials warned Beregond that this indeed constituted a foul, and if it happens during any match he will be immediately red-carded, but Beregond doesn't sound deterred "I was ready to die for my captain. Think I care who I kill to protect him on the field of battle!?"

The other concern is with the Mumak. Officials have security for Ithilien's matches on the "Ludicrously Severe" alert, because of the intense fear at the damage and death caused by a Mumak rampage. Theoden, from Pelennor, has graciously lent Gamling and many of his Royal Guard to help secure Ithilien's matches. Let's face it though, if that Mumak goes on a rampage it is not stopping until it hits a deep water source.

Vinyamar- This looks to be not only the best defensive team of the group, but one of the best in the tourney. Last year Ulmo led the 2nd best defense from Hithlum, who only lost the Championship on a last-minute goal to Armenolos, the BEST defensive (and clearly best overall) team. And he is expecting the same, bringing the loyal vassals Salmar and Osse to the team. It will be interesting to see what the untested FWs (Penlod and Tuor) will do. Can they manufacture enough goals making Vinyamar a balanced and down-right scary team to play? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

GROUP B

Oooh, I love this group, and it will be an honour to write for their matches this year. I will try to not be too harsh on the completely snuggable, huggable, lovable 'Downer team (well most of them that is...the warg and the phantom make much of that nigh impossible), but you are also expected to not make me! Play honourably, win, and we will have no problems...deal? But lets start with...

Barad-dur- talent wise they look the best, but this is going to be an insanely competitive group. Sauron has extended an offer of peace to his former enemies, and to the football community's surprise they accepted! Is this a wise move? Sauron, who always wants to win, believes so, saying "These high Men and Elves were my greatest adversaries...ever. They didn't cower from my power and send in two rotten hobbits when my eye was closed. No! They beat me fair and square...well not completely fair...I mean I did take both of them at once, but that stupid mistake lies on me." When asked what about Isildur? Sauron replied: "I hate him." Because of the Ring? "Oh no, that he had just claim to. Afterall, I had just killed his Pop and Bro, he could have rightfully taken Barad-dur too, I wouldn't have cared. I just want my darn finger back."

Barrow-Downs- The mostly non-warg team will be smart, composed, and undoubtedly the best strategically. At least that is their hope, and now having fielded a team early (at least by their standards), getting to practice together should have a huge pay off. And let's face the facts, it doesn't take 'Downers long to bond. I know this from first-hand experience! Despite what many of them will individually boast, they aren't the most skilled athletes, and it will be the comradarity that will make or break the Barrow-Downs. I say "make or break," because there may be so much bonding going on, the players forget they are actually in a soccer match, and decide to tour the many Middle-earth locations and exhibits...oops I mean Harry Potter.

Breeland- Their attack looks more deadly than ever, with the addition of Strider. As well as Bombadil conceding his captain position to the King. Lackadaisical (at best) performances should be a thing of the past for Bree, under Strider's guidance. All of us will remember when Bombadil was asked, at the beginning of last year's tourney, what he expected from his Bree team, he was completely clueless: "To be honest, I have no idea what the point of this game is, it all looks rather silly and pointless. So, I think I'll just come out with brilliant poetry and a comedic song-dance routine. If that's how you win the silly Arda trophy, we should do pretty well." This year, we asked Aragorn, who said "We will win and afterwards, Butterbur will throw a championship party that has never been seen in Arda before! Our soccer play will be as legendary as his ale!" However, will Strider be the great King Elessar who led Minas Tirith last year to a playoff game, or the sketchy creeper-in-the-corner many in Bree know him to be?

Gorgoroth- No one can under-estimate this team from Mordor. There is offensive and defensive talent up and down the line. The biggest concern is going to be leadership. It's a team of followers, with a massive spider who recognizes no leader. Castamir has show great talent the past few tournaments, but those were years he was with the Witch-King, and now he must step up for Gorgoroth. However, his team is making that rather difficult, the King of the Dead is bound to only follow Isildur, or one of his heirs. Castamir has tried to appeal to the Dead-King, by arguing that he has served Sauron in the past, but the King aptly noted Castamir is not Sauron. Besides, the King, has said he wants to leave this mortal-world to find rest. Never understimate the guile of Castamir who told the Dead-King if he helps bring a championship to Gorgoroth, he will have the authority to hold his oath fulfilled. "I'm not convinced," said King o' Dead "but what the Udun? Worth the shot."

GROUP C

Mithrim- Anything short of a championship, and fans of Mithrim will probably view the year as a disappointment. Some may already be awarding the championship to them. Pointing out there is no better duo than Turin and Beleg, then when you add Hurin to the team, their offense looks onstoppable. Add to that a star-studded defense! Ahh...but not so fast...while the defense is certainly talented, there are weakness. Primarily, the mid-field. If they get the ball to Turin and the FWs, it's over for the opposing team. However, against a solid, ball-control MF (such as Nargothrond who's in Mithrim's group) they may not be able to push it up to Turin! Mithrim's defense, while certainly strong, is made better by the ability of Turin and company to push the ball up field. However, their FWs are almost useless defensively. If an opponent can keep possession primarily on Mithrim's side, and apply consistent pressure, their defense could fold. Huan is a solid GK, but is not used to facing a lot of shots.

Nargothrond- consistantly a team who has made it to the playoff round, but this could be the most difficult year for them. Finrod allows no room for mistakes, which makes them nigh impossible to crack. However, they are also not great risk-takers and in a group with Mithrim and Pelennor, it's going to be interesting to see which team strategy will prove to be superior. Finrod believes, they have the mindset and capability, to stop any attack, but also expose the spaces left open for a dangerous counter.

Norbury- they run almost a similar strategy to Nargothrond, but probably a bit more flexible depending upon what opponent they're up against. Their defense can stand up to pressure, but Araphor has proven to be a dangerous FW. Malbeth was asked what fate he sees for Norbury, and would only say: "We will rise or fall upon the boot of Araphor." When being told that didn't answer anything, and wasn't a seer vision he said "In such ways, my power does not work."

Pelennor- will seriously annoy most teams they face, and not just because of the flocking Legolas fan-girls, who are sure to show up to Pelennor's matches dawning their idol's jersey. Eowyn has said "Those fans disgust me. The only way you achieve glory is by winning on the pitch!" and then she ran off shouting "Death!" Although, Eowyn will likely not hold Legolas' adoring fans against him, he can't help it, and she will have a large crowd of supporters herself! But I digress, Pelennor will seriously annoy most teams, because they will always attack and will never stop playing until the referee blows his whistle, signaling the end of the match.

GROUP D

Dale- A very scary, and underrated offense. Thranduil looked impressive for Mirkwood last year, but there's questions whether being out of his forest will change his attitude. Especially, since he will now be playing with a few dwarves. So what caused him to come to Dale? No doubt it was money, Smaug made him an offer he couldn't refuse, but Thranduil still said in his press conference: "I do not trust the dwarves. I will never receive a pass from a Naugrim!" The next day, he changed his tune, as he was seen high-fiving and trying to lift Thror onto his shoulders. League officials are investigating the possibility that Smaug has placed Thranduil under an enchantment.

Eithel Sirion- statistically, probably the favorites of Group D. Maedhros has the same ability of his father, to completely take over a game when needed. And co-captaining the team with Fingon will be more beneficial than harmful. A dark horse to seriously contend for the championship because of skill, strategy, and unrivalled teamwork. The talent is good, but it is not top-tier. Teamwork is a great positive to have, but if you have to rely on it too much, you will ultimately lose to a team with superior talent. That will be the challenge for Eithel Sirion, but we have all witnessed games where Maedhros can rack up the goals.

Gelion- A first-time team and there's really no way to judge how they will fair together. Probably one of the teams where the friendlies will be of extreme importance, and we can get a more accurate picture of the new team. Primarily defense minded, but in this group that could turn out to be a successful strategy. Since, together, Beren and Luthien make a well-rounded duo. Luthien isn't purely a defensive player, and she will be looking to get the ball to her dearly beloved.

Rohan- Eorl is not daunted by the departure of several players from last year which took Edoras to the round of 16 and losing to Minas Morgul in a thrilling shoot out. They did lose Eowyn, but Eomer remained and Eorl brought the Hammer from the Deep to help with their attack. The key will be the horse-loaded defense, which under Shadowfax's leadership never tired, and made things relatively easy for Theoden at GK. Well, this year, both are gone, Felarof will have to set the same pace and work ethic for young Firefoot and Stybba.

-------

*Loves Microsoft Word.* The other 16 will be up later.