View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #68
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
The Knight of the Sorrowful Face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurumaiel
When I was about ten years old I first was introduced to Don Quixote, as portrayed in the musical Man of La Mancha. For quite a few years I was a knight, the Blessed Virgin was my chosen lady, and God was the King I served.
I’m not too familiar with the musical (Man of La Mancha), but the novel by Miguel De Cervantes (the edition I own is translated by Edith Grossman) portrays Don Quixote as a man who has lost all his ability to separate reality from fiction. Even though in his heart he believes entirely that he is doing a ‘chivalric’ deed to humanity (mostly in the name of Dulcinea of Toboso first, and God second). In many ways innocent people are victimized by these acts. And evil men are turned free. Is the musical different in any aspect? Your post was good and I'm interested to hear more.

Back to the topic. I was raised Catholic, but I'm not a very good one anymore. Curiosity killed the cat? Curiosity killed my religion.

Last edited by zifnab; 06-27-2006 at 01:51 AM. Reason: To stick with the topic, which I had forgotten.
zifnab is offline   Reply With Quote