View Single Post
Old 11-20-2002, 01:30 PM   #13
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Just as one tale had come to its ending, the heavy door burst open and two determined figures strode in, seeking shelter from the storm. The one was the young maid Andreth, tall and slender with a mop of red hair and freckles to match. Her companion, the hobbit Cami, sported brown curls and deep grey eyes that were well hidden within the folds of a hooded cloak. Water dripped from both their skirts, as they huddled near the warmth of the hearth fire.

Cami emerged from her hood long enough to take a peek and wave greetings to a number of those she knew--Estelyn, Gandalf, Rimbaud, and Varda-- as well as a few whom she hoped to meet later. Her eyes narrowed at the sight of the lean black figure seated near the bar. She shook her head and scowled. Ah, I had hoped for peace and quiet. With the Man here, the angry Elf may not be far behind! Out loud, she only murmurred a word of greeting to Mithadan and tilted her head in his direction.

Rimbaud turned his attention away from Varda and approached the waiting women, nodding a welcome. "How goes the road, fair ladies? Do you have a tale for us?"

"The road? Not well, I fear." The spunky Andreth held up her head and spoke with conviction. "As to a tale, our only one is full of woe."

She went on to explain. "My companions and I were trekking down the path to Tharbad when a great pit opened under our feet. Several of my friends tumbled in, and I barely escaped with my life."

"But then why are you here?" pressed Rimbaud. "Surely you must go rescue your friends."

"Aye, that's the rub," the girl ruefully acknowledged. "As I have no rope or healing skills, I can do little to aid my companions. This is only my first adventure. I regret I am so ill prepared. I will await the outcome here, hoping that others may have planned with greater care."

Trying to take the conversation elsewhere, Rimbaud asked, "How can I help you then? Is there anything you need?"

Two voices spoke up in perfect harmony: "Coffee! Two cups, hot and thick."

Rimbaud scratched his head in irritation. Only open one day and already his customers were making unreasonable demands! Did these two think they were in Harad? What tavern in Gondor kept a stock of coffee for customers? None that he knew.

He thought carefully and then replied, "Let me see what I can do for two distressed damsels." Rimbaud disappeared in the back and magically emerged a minute later, carrying two steaming flagons. He hoped that no other customers would take up the hint and place another order for coffee. Grateful for Rimbaud's efforts, Cami and Andreth sat at a table, revelling as much in the smell of the brew as its warmth and taste.

[ November 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]