View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just going to jump in here before even reviewing the chapter carefully and fully to say that I love the Battle of Helms Deep. Esty is quite right in pointing out how brief the battle is -- every time I read the book I am struck by how little 'space' the battle is afforded in the narrative, despite its immense importance to the story.

The one thing about this chapter that's always bothered me is, I must admit, the head count (heh heh) kept by Gimli and Legolas in their competition. There's two things about it: first, it seems a bit blood thirsty of them to be competing at all; second, I've never fought in a medieval campaign, but I have fought with a sword (you know, tournaments, with safety equipment and everything) and there is just no way that one fighter can be so overwhelmingly good that he can wipe out that many opponents. And certainly not two: either the orcs are incompetent or Gimli and Legolas are getting a bit of 'help' from the author.

I only mention this as it is one of the only points in the book where the enchantment fails for me. But more of substance when I have reviewed the chapter.