View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #123
shaggydog
Animated Skeleton

shaggydog has just left Hobbiton.
Nydfara and Oeric

Out of touch with recent “happenings”? It was clear that this self-styled ‘Nydfara’ was curious to know how Sorn’s hall had burned to the ground. Oeric had no intention of satisfying that curiosity though, not now. Not one given much to dissembling, Oeric merely shook his head slowly, saying, “You know as much as I, I’ll wager. These . . . settlers appeared out of nowhere, and I have no idea what their intentions are, except from the look of it, they are here to stay. The landowner here, Sorn his name was, is gone – I don’t know where or why.” Oeric nodded in the direction of the ridge, and the destruction which lay beyond. “As for that, I was wondering if you could tell me.” Not exactly an untruth, but a careful sidestepping of what he himself knew. Nydfara’s own denial of recent knowledge was in turn an admission that he had been here, at some time or other. Oeric had a suspicion the ‘errands’ the other man referred to were likely to be such that would not bear too close a scrutiny. It lay within the realm of possibility that Nydfara did have some knowledge of what had gone on before Oeric’s own arrival at the already deserted hall.

Not knowing how to proceed with this probing without giving away more than he received, Oeric thought once more upon how this man, or any man, could help him. Still unsure of his own desires, Oeric said simply, “As for myself, I wish only to remain as I have been before yesterday, left alone, until such time as I choose otherwise. In this you can be of help to me merely by making no point of bringing my presence here to anyone’s attention.” Nydfara eyed him shrewdly at this last statement, and Oeric surmised that the man was assessing this request for silence on his part. Whatever Nydfara made of it, however, the man only nodded slightly, neither agreeing to, nor denying, the request.

More than that, if indeed Nydfara had anything to add, was not to be explored, as, at that moment, a cry came to them on the air, causing both men to freeze. The call was close, and they were both alarmed that anyone should have approached so near to them without their realizing it. It was one word only. “Help!”. But it induced completely different reactions in the two.

Nydfara was on his feet in an instant and moving away from the cry, across the stony ground in a wary but rapid half crouch.

Oeric’s first response, born of his innate character, was to hurry down the slope and towards the distress cry. Whatever mishap had befallen the one who had called out, the voice, though strangely accented, was clearly that of one in need. As he made his way forward though, Oeric’s mind at least considered the possibility of whether those on the other side of the ridge would have heard the cry. His feet slowed as he considered his own position. If he made himself known, or was spotted and apprehended, then explanations would be requested, then required of him. He could perhaps play dumb and claim no knowledge of what had happened here. But then again, he himself had no way of knowing who might have heard by now of his own flight, and pursuit. His isolation here was both a cocoon and a prison. If word had gone beyond these lands . . . if Swain had really had time to send word to Edoras . . . Confusion and fear brought his feet to a halt. Then once more, a second cry, much closer, came.

Stiffening, Oeric realized that whoever it was, they could be no more than 30 or 40 paces away. A stand of willow bushes still provided him cover, but he knew their presence signaled the presence of water, and that in turn suggested what might lay beyond.

Still irresolute as to what he would do, Oeric cautiously made his way closer. Dropping to the ground, he wriggled into the bushes and pulled himself forward until he could catch a glimpse of what, and who lay on the other side. Perhaps, he thought hopefully, those beyond the ridge would soon arrive. Having heard the call, their attention would be occupied by aiding their hapless fellow and he could stay secure and unoted in the thicket. Slowly inching forward, Oeric listened for the sounds of both plight and rescue.