skytree
Haunting Spirit

skytree has just left Hobbiton.
similar reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwhini View Post
On another note...

What is up with the theme of:

What would happen if X got the Ruling Ring?

Is this something people are going to apply to every inhabitant of Arda?

Also.... The point I made in the thread regarding the Metaphysics of Middle-earth should make this question trivial to answer for any person once you have an Operational Metaphysics (and, as Tolkien also sought a Theology, that should not be neglected).

From these two Foundations come every aspect of Middle-earth, including HOW the One Ring operates, and WHAT it does beyond the vague descriptions given by Tolkien.

For instance.... How does one make Baryonic Matter "invisible?"

There are actually answers for that question that deal with actual Physics, and with Physics that would exist within Middle-earth where various forms of Property Dualism are True that are not True in our Universe; creating a bit of a Paradox of "Middle-earth is our Earth" - obviously it isn't, but the intent is that it is.

Meaning that Arda needs to hew as closely as possible to the Physics, Chemistry, and Biology of our world/universe, while having some Thing (something: Some Property or Properties) that allows what we perceive as "Magic" to exist within Arda. Yet recall that Tolkien tended to think of "Magic" as being "occult," or "necromantic," and that what the Elves and Valar did, that we call "Magic" was just a Natural part of their being (and many Humans also produced abilities we think of as "Magic" when they were properly attuned to the world).

Figure out what that "Thing" (property or Properties) is, and you have your answer to most questions regarding Middle-earth.

There does remain only some questions of Psychology or qualities of different characters, places, or things within Arda at that point. But this is no different than our Universe (we have most of the underlying Metaphysics in our Universe - we have just not yet completely assembled the resulting Physics from them).

Note:

As far as the One Ring goes.... That was a pretty original leap of imagination to question about Fangorn or the Ents getting ahold of it.

They are about the least "Motivated" to do harm, or to seek Power in Middle-earth, yet would likely be the most dangerous to have the One Ring in Middle-earth as well.

They, of all creatures save the Elves, seem to have their "Morgoth-Element" most under control, even though they likely possess a substantial amount of that Element within each of them (compared to Elves).

MB
I guess the intrigue comes from the fact Treebeard like the Balrog, IMHO might be one of the individuals of ME who might encounter the ring and not necessarily become it's thrall. I suppose when the fellowship broke at Amon Hen, there is a scenario where Frodo could have been captured as Merry and Pippin were and the ring to have come to Fangorn.
skytree is offline   Reply With Quote