View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #26
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
( . . .) There is no narrative by Tolkien which puts Thingol outside the Girdle at his death. This idea was suggested by Tolkien in a single note on the "Turins Saga" sheet, which seems to date from the early 1950s (ie, before the Narn synopsis in my timeline earlier). "Concerning" is ten years later, and should at least be considered as an alternate solution to the question.
I note that you write "seems" to date from the 1950s, and I've no problem with that. I'm just wondering if these notes could be later, perhaps even very much later . . . so, anything preventing this?

I couldn't find Hammond and Scull attempting to date 'em. Christopher Tolkien explains that the word "cannot" [invasion of Doriath] "may well have been written against the entry for 503 in The Tale of Years at the same time as this." And "this" refers to the note about Thingol being lured outside his borders (and slain), which is said to be written at the same time as the other "Turin's Saga" page of notes.

So (unless I've missed something obvious), I can't yet find a certain connection to these ideas and the dating of the Tale of Years. That's not to say I think your chronology is not well thought out, I'm just wondering how certain we can be.

For example, there's a marginal note to section 149 of The Annals of Aman (the typescript, itself dating about 1958) that seems very late indeed -- judging by the content, I would say the note itself is post 1967.

Anyway, again just wondering'
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote