View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 06:32 PM   #290
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sorona

As the silvery threads of dawn stretched out across the eastern horizon of the desert sands Sorona’s rose her dark bloodshot eyes to greet it’s gentle light, as had become her custom since escaping the darkness of Barad-dur. “With dawn comes the light and hope to chase away the shadowy darkness of even our darkest night!” The gentle whisper of an old friends words echoed through her mind, giving her what little comfort it could. But as she lowered her gaze the flap to her cousins tent parted and Rama stepped forth, her honeyed complexion streaked with silvery tears. She watched as the young woman knelt, setting down a small ornate pot she carefully held in her trembling hands. A vessel of water with which to quench the thirst of death before journeying unto the west, She thought, vaguely recalling the rituals of her people. Rama rose and for a brief moment the two eagle women’s eyes meet each betraying the depth of their grief and that same sense of empty loss that came with the parting of a loved one. Sorona lowered her head respectfully, then Rama slowly turned and quietly slipped back inside.

With seemingly inconsolable sorrow Sorona closed her eyes, but no peace was there in even this simple act, instead the vision that haunted her dreams returned, more vivid and no less violent than before. The death of Ayar and the rumours and suspicions surrounding Wyrma and her people now gave credence to that which in her heart she had hoped was only a nightmare, a punishment for her boldness and over curiosity! “What is it you what me to do?” She whispered to the light west winds, but there was no reply only the fading horrors of the dream and a renewed sense of urgency! Suddenly she knew what she must do, turning sharply she hurried to the tent of her hosts. No matter what doubt she felt towards Fador he was an elder and it was to the elders that she now must speak if the portent of her dream was to be averted!

Reaching Fador’s tent, her guard startled out of his own grief by her sudden departure and struggling to keep up with her nearly walked right into her as she stopped suddenly. Latah, Fadors daughter sat at the entrance, the soft keening and gentle shaking of her lithe frame betraying her grieving. Pity more than sympathy stopped Sorona as she watched the young woman mourn the passing of their leader, how many more times would the eagles mourn the loss of loved ones before this new chapter in their history passed unto memory? She thought with a deep and sorrowful sigh, then turning to her guard and looking him over she gestured to a red handkerchief protruding from his pocket. Shaking it out he handed it to her. Nodding her thanks she took it gently in her beak and hopped over to where the young woman sat.

With a gentle nudge of her head she offered the young woman the handkerchief, Latah looked up and slowly took the offered handkerchief with a slight nod of thanks. “The spirits of our ancestors will look after Ayar now and guide her unto the west were she will know eternal peace!” Sorona whispered, absently turning her gaze west as a small part of her heart secretly envied her cousin that rest.

“Latah, I must speak with your father! Is he inside?” she asked as gently as possible but making no attempt to hide the underlying urgency in her voice as she turned back to face the young woman.

“No,” the young woman sniffed, “He takes Counsel with the other Elders and will not be disturbed.”

“Where?” Sorona pressed. Latah paused staring at the eagle reluctant to say more, Sorona’s eyes softened as her gaze levelled with the young woman. “It is important that I speak with your father and the elders of this clan, even more so now this sorrow has befallen. What I have to say may be important not only to this clan but to all Maenwaith!” she gently pressed. Latah paused for a moment longer then told Sorona where her father could be found. Thanking the young woman Sorona turned and headed for the tent Latah had described, her guard following close behind.

Reaching the tent Latah had informed her belonged to the elder Mumtaz, she was stopped at the entrance by another young woman who suddenly stepped in front of her, “You can not go in there the Elders are gathered!” she said staring down at the eagle with a slightly bemused frown.

“Yes, I know and I must be permitted to speak with them” Sorona pressed attempting to move round the young woman, only to be stopped by the firm hand of her guard. “You do not understand outsiders are not permitted while the Elders take counsel, you may speak with them after!” he said in a firm voice, giving the young woman an apologetic nod.

“No! it is you who do not understand, an outsider I may be, but eagle Maenwaith I am and with the Elders I must now speak!” she said gently nipping her guard hand and with wings gently flapping she pushed past the young woman careful not to do her injury.

Inside the heads of the Elders turned to set eyes on the eagle that disturbed the end of their meeting, “I’m sorry, I tried to tell …her” A shaken Salihah apologised.

“Sorona!” Fador frowned as he rose from the head of the table. Hushed whisperings past through the assembly as she stepped forward, her gaze steadily studying the faces of each Elder in turn as she looked around the gathered assembly. Several faces stood out in her fractured memory but none more so than the old frail looking woman who sat to Fador’s left side, her dark eyes studied her intently. A flame of memory lit her eyes as the scrutinizing look of the woman seemed all to familiar and as she held the woman’s gaze she remembered long debates by firelight regarding Sorona’s views of the outside world and the stern warnings the Elder would press upon her but she believed that despite their differences they were once friends, but that would not help her now for what she was to say would not hold well with any of the elders, if even they believed her.

“Forgive me this rude intrusion,” she said turning back to Fador and bowing low in respect, “But I must have the counsel of the Elders!” she added lifting her head.

“Counsel is always given to those of our people who ask!” Barakah answered keeping her voice even and her gaze level, “but you come to us a stranger and un-revealed!” she added gesturing the form Sorona held too.

“How are we to know you are not some spy of the Wyrm clan sent to make sure her evil has come to pass!” another added pressing his palms firmly upon the table. He was of medium height and build and of hard-faced countenance, suspicion burning in his dark eyes and his lips thinning within the white beard that framed his aged face as he steadily met her gaze.

“My name is Sorona, Daughter of Thoronda, cousin to Ayar and my first loyalty is to the clan of my birth. Yea it is also true that by Marriage I too owe loyalty to the clan of the wolf and some of you will ask why it is that I come here and not to the place of my husband and son and more still will ask where it is I have been these many years and why it has taken so long for me to return hither to the place of my birth. All these questions and more I will answer, but first I implore you to hear what I have to say ” she beseeched them.

Fador again took his seat looking at Sorona contemplatively as another ripple of mutterings swept through the assembly. The flap to the tent again opened stilling the elders once more into silence as Nakira and Thorn entered, “We came as soon as we were told!” Thorn said warily eyeing the eagle that had disturbed the counsel of their Elders.

Fador nodded and gestured for the others to make room for Nakira and Thorn, “Sorona has something she wishes to share with us, “ he informed them, “And I must admit that she did express to me before her desire to be permitted to speak with the elders and the leaders of our clan. I told her that it would take time to arrange, but it seems that what she has to say can not wait,” he finished gesturing for Sorona to speak.

Sorona nodded her head in thanks and began to speak. “For some time now a vision of great foreboding has troubled my dreams. I admit at first I did not see it’s import and thought it only a punishment. For I once sought to look upon something that I had been afore warned was not permitted. I angered the great spirits of the world who set air and water against me too thrust me back from looking to far into the west, leaving only this dream as a reminder of my folly. But the more I tried to dismiss the content of my dream the more vivid it became until it finally brought me here and I believe to this exact time.”

Sorona pause for a moment looking in turn at each face wondering how they would take what she was about to say, stopping last with Nakira. The young Daughter of Ayar , sat patiently waiting for her to continue, the light of wisdom shone in her eyes like her mother before her and Sorona smiled wanly suddenly seeing why they would choose this child to lead them and hoping that she indeed had the wisdom and hidden strengths of her mother, then taking a deep breath she continued.

“In this vision a great city raises from the very sands of the desert floor and before its gates a fierce and horrifying battle ensues. At first the combatants of this battle were not clear to me but since returning to the lands of my kin and hearing of their troubles the vision has become more and more clear in my mind. I see now that it is men who battle amongst themselves! but not any men it is Maenwaith and over all a dark shadow looms that it fills my heart with such dread, but what or who this shadow is not shown to me. I fear for all our people and now I offer what I can to help in what ever course of action you pose to avert this travesty from ever occurring.” Then finishing she again bowed respectfully and awaited the deliberations of her kinsmen.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-29-2004 at 05:17 AM.