View Single Post
Old 10-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #219
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Phura was elsewhere, Loremaster was busy, and the children were asleep. The guard had changed, and standing just outside the Study, Gamba recognised the guard that had covered for his gasp the morning before. He glanced in, saw that everything was in order, smiled at Gamba, and withdrew.

Gamba drew Esta deeper within the study, and kissed her once, and a second time, and a third. But then he heard the guard cough, and on an impulse he released her and went to the desk.

Sure enough, Phura came in. Gamba smiled. Phura was the least of his worries, but he was surprised and pleased that the guard cared enough to warn him of somebody's approach. He and Esta shared a knowing smile. Literary interests, indeed.

He glanced at the desk, and saw to his surprise that his own diary was open. He started, and considered the page. "Phura? You were reading my diary again?"

"You had asked a question, that I think nobody ever really answered for you, " Phura said. "About Niphredil's Lullaby."

"I remember," Gamba said, glancing at Esta. "I wanted to know why, if Niphredil was a grown woman, why Lindo wrote a lullaby for her. And I thought it was a love song instead." He frowned, pondering.

"You remember, he also wrote a lament for her, " Phura prompted, waiting expectantly.

"Don't act like Loremaster, " Gamba snapped. Phura looked away, embarassed. And then Gamba sighed. "I wish I still got to study."

"I thought you didn't like all those sappy songs we were learning, " Phura replied, with a wink at Esta, who smiled.

"Of course I don't, " Gamba said, turning away from the desk and shutting the journal. "I miss the songs about the elves, and Gondolin. And wars, and battles."

Phura shot him a warning glance, and Gamba dropped the subject.

The five children lay sleeping, some snoring, and Gamba twitched and muttered, dreaming. Loremaster was deep in slumber. But Phura lay awake.

Twelve years, he thought, 'til I come of age. I am a boy still. And yet, I no longer feel like a boy. And Loremaster and the Elders don't treat me like a boy anymore.

He thought back seven years to a wedding he had seen, with Gamba. There had been other weddings before and since, but that one always stuck in their minds, and he and Gamba mentioned it or discussed it once in a while.

What haunted them was the kiss. They had both been struck by it at the time, and neither had ever forgotten it. It seemed like the ideal, perfect kiss. Right arm around her shoulders, left arm around her waist; and the kiss lasted for about eight counts. Phura smiled.

Every time Gamba The Rascal collected his champion's kiss from Esta, Phura thought of Azraph, and wondered when and if their day would come. The approaching events of the next week could very well sweep Phura and Azraph apart forever. And even if they did not, he couldn't propose to Azraph for another twelve years.

Phura sighed, and rolled over, but it was no good. He got up, and slipped out to the tunnel by the mines, passed the guard in the dark, joined Tuka and Corby and numerous other hobbits, and sharpened visors for a while.

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]