View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 05:14 AM   #45
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Birdland - I'm not sure which LOTR Tarot you are talking about. I have one put out in 1996 with art work by Peter Pracownik. The pictures are gorgeous -- The Fool is Gollum.
OK, guys, sorry to go off-topic: but Gollum as the Fool in Tarot? That is just soooo WRONG! Obviously this Pracownik (and you're right, Pio: They are beautiful) has no concept of what the symbolism of Tarot means.

Here is the definition of the Fool:

"The Tarot Fool is not quite what comes to mind when many people think of the word "fool" or the term "foolish." There are clear connections to the medieval Fool or Court Jester. In modern Tarot, the Fool represents being carefree, impulsive, spontaneous, enthusiastic, and frivolous. The Fool steps out into the unknown without fear or caution. He isn't brave, but he has no fear. He is the universal innocent but he is also wise. He is the rule-breaker, the person who lives without rules. He is very close to his own body and experiences his physical sensations fully."

Now at first I thought maybe the Fool would be represented by Sam. But on second thought, there can only be one Fool in a LoTR Tarot deck - Tom Bombadil!

OK, scratch that LoTR item off my shopping list. I would probably just tick me off. (Birdie sulks.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote