View Single Post
Old 05-09-2003, 02:46 PM   #122
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The group's reunion was happy, but cut short by necessity. The ainereg had yet to be found.

"We have your artistry to thank for any chance we have of finding the ainereg," Anson told Andunériel as they walked. At the elf's puzzled frown, he explained Luin's finding of the picture. "It was a fine stroke of luck," he concluded, "but I suppose that most of our journey thus far has been luck." The group agreed wholeheartedly with that. "But this doesn't mean that we can waste any time. It's getting close on to winter, and stores will be running short. Our own stores don't look so good. We need to find the ainereg, and we need to find it soon."

That sobered the group up. Greendale and Everwood spoke softly as they led the way, and Anson's ears, sharp though they were, could not pick up a word of it. It seemed like the reunion of old friends, though, or Anson had never seen one.

"Ainereg, you called it?" Everwood said suddenly. Anson nodded with the rest of the company. Both Ents chuckled, and moved aside.

In the shadows all that Anson could see at first was the trunk of an enormous, ancient oak tree, but Peony's gasp brought his eyes lower. The base of the tree, near the roots, was covered with bright yellow flowers.

Gasping himself, Anson ran over and knelt by the tree. He was not the only one. Several of his companions also began to reverently pick the flowers, untying the bags that they had brought for this purpose and putting the flowers in, with a gentleness that was probably not necessary. Once Anson's bag was full, he went over to Greendale and Everwood.

"Thank you," he began, his voice hoarse. He cleared his throat, and continued in a stronger voice. "I can't begin to express my gratitude. This whole time I've been afraid that my children--I have a whole pack of them back in Hobbiton--I was afraid that they would go hungry before I could get back to them. I was afraid we wouldn't find the ainereg in time." His voice caught, but he pressed on. "Most of us have families that we've worried about--" Finally he could say no more. "Thank you," he finished, his voice barely above a whisper. "Thank you."