View Single Post
Old 05-09-2002, 10:58 AM   #37
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

How to Hate Gandalf... Hmm... what an interesting concept -- let me think about that one...<P>how about getting tired of "Aragorn can do no wrong" after about five chapters? Big confession there -- may be another part of why yours truly was in Boromir's corner from Day One -- another is, give me a choice between a flawless hero and an SOB, and i'll take the SOB any day -- chances are he's the more interesting character!<P>Especially one like the subject of this thread -- whom Tolkein plays as pretty flat, but if you piece together the stuff from the back of the book, you see B. should properly be played -- with 25# of chainmail, 5# of shield, 3# of sword, and 65# of great expectations and guilt trips. i still say kudos to Jackson & team for letting Bean exploit just a bit of that for our viewing pleasure!<P>Here's a question for any posters from the Pacific Rim, especially Japan -- given how differently the Japanese culture views its heroes -- how would Boromir stack up to the average samurai? As in, you can still 'fail' in an attempt to achieve what you think is a noble goal, because it is the attempt that is worthy, and in that light, there is no failure, only success or death?<P>s.t.<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]