View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #10
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
There are two types of parody, the first type is one that you can write for fan fiction ie for this site, which no one will complain about, if you use original names, but tell funny stories about them. The second type is the one where you intend to publish, like The Soddit, The Sellamillion, The Sillymarillion and Bored of the Rings. In this type you are forced by law to change the names, so in that yes, The Lord of the Grins has changed the names just exactly like Bored of the Rings had to, however my story follows more closely to the original, very unlike Bored of the Rings. There are many people who will not like to see Tolkiens works made into parody, if you are one of those then I respect your stance, but what I would say to you is that Tolkien gave us this work to expand on, I am just coming in through a different door, just like Jackson has done. I have many friends in the Tolkien Society, and most have a copy of Bored of the Rings, it does no harm, it is a bit of fun, however if I said I hate everything Tolkien ever wrote, then you would be quite right to denounce me. The real reason I have embarked upon this path, was to update Bored of the Rings, and not just invent a name like Arrowroot of Arrowshirt or Moxie and Pepsi, without giving them a history that can be qualified within the name change, like-

Messy (Meretricious Brandishmuck) who is always dirty.

Pipsqueak (Peregrinate Talk) who gets everything wrong.

Legless Greenteeth son of King Thatfool of The Silly Elves of Murkywood.

Stan Gamble son of Hamble Gamble, known as Hamfist or Grafter.

Fido son of Doggo.

Cellphone which is Telephono in The Qwerty Text of The Haughty Elves.

King Thingy (Elude Singular, Lord of The Thousand Cafes, Manygrowth of
Doorhehath)

Hewers son Chewer and their kin
Hewing and his son Chewin a Chewinbar, Glaring a Daggerin.

Events like-

The Downsizing of Neomanor or The Alackabath which is Atolslanted.

The Battle of The Last Abeyance.

Not only these I have included The Histories of The Wiztari, The Rents, The Riders of Ridicule, The Argonlamps, The Princes of Doltamlost, The Stalwarts of Minus Thrifty and many. In short I have not just given things A SILLY NAME, I have given reasons why, so if you can find any name in Bored of the Rings that equals-

Paragon son of Paramount Heir of Everdulls son Evenduller, Alesser the
Half-Stoned, Dulladan, Stranger of the North.

Or give me the name of the father of any of the following from Bored of the Rings, then I will admit my feeble attempt at comedy has failed.

Moxie
Pepsi
Gimlet
Legolam.
Frito
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote