View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #511
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Gone! Medreth couldn’t help the look of surprise that sprang into her face. Her eyebrows shot up and her lips opened partially. But in a moment, when Saeryin sighed quietly, Medreth came back to herself. A slight blush rose to her cheeks as she sincerely hoped she hadn’t offended the young lady. But a swift glance told Medreth that Saeryin’s attention wasn’t on her at all and the sigh probably had not been connected with her sudden, obvious expression of displeasurable surprise.

“I’m sorry,” Saeryn said after a moment. Her eyes again came back up to meet Medreth’s. “My mind wanders. Please forgive me. Might I have the honor of finding you lodgings? Perhaps a meal? Breakfast is long over now, but Kara and Frodides will surely have something delicious on hand. Perhaps midday is even ready.”

Medreth smiled merrily. She took a liking to this girl, just a couple years younger than herself. “Don’t worry yourself!” she said brightly. “I’m sorry to hear they’re gone, and I hope they do return before dinner time - I don’t want to stay that late. But for now, I would be delighted to go inside. I’m not hungry now, thanks, but perhaps later, when the rest of you gather for the noon time meal.”

As Saeryn turned, Medreth fell into step with her. She gave a side long glance at Saeryn, her curiosity roused by this young woman. The boy who’d come for their horses had said ‘Lady Saeryn’. Medreth’s mind, quick to pick up on this sort of thing, instantly connected her with lord Eodwine. But somehow it was wrong. Eodwine, she had heard, was not a young man - he had fought in the wars some years ago. But Saeryn was scarcely twenty! Not that is mattered too much, Medreth decided in a side thought, but how odd. Were they indeed married? If not, were they intending to? If that were not even being considered, it gave Thornden a lovely chance. A secret smile played on Medreth’s lips and she turned her head and face away briefly. She just had to know. But she couldn’t be too obvious. A question about Saeryn and lord Eodwine surely would be considered an innocent one, considering their titles, and it appeared to be the best place to start.

“Medreth, wait a moment.” Javan’s voice broke into her thoughts before she could address Saeryn. “If you’re just going inside, could I stay out here and go in and talk to Lčof?”

“Lčof?” Medreth repeated.

“The ostler chap.”

“Oh, yes. Go ahead.” Javan turned and trotted to the stables, disappearing within. Medreth turned back towards Saeryn when he had gone. They walked forward. “The ostler - Lčof, I guess - told me you were the lady here. Are you married to lord Eodwine?”