View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Dude, lose the dogma. I said no such thing about being against creation, other than not believing it personally. I merely pointed out your artificial constraints on what Tolkien was writing limits the overall effect, which is a synthesis of many myths, not an adherence to one. Tolkien once floated the idea of creating a "Mythology for England", which is why many sections of The Silmarillion that I pointed out are not Christian at all, but all wound together brilliantly to make a greater whole. What made Tolkien's work great is that any symbology was subsumed in the text. As he stated himself, "the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism."

Not overt, not proselytizing. I would not have continued to read it for nearly 5 decades if I felt I was being preached to. Like on this thread, for instance.

And with that, I will post on this thread no more. There is nothing mirthful here that should be in the "Middle-earth Mirth" part of the forum.
Mothoron, my sincere apologies, I have mistook you for another poster as was pointed out to me. You have made great comments i hope you dont leave on my account.

I would disagree the sillmarillion had nothing christian as i would say it clearly does especially on creation and the fall. But yes nowhere is it preaching Christianity he did not intended it to as maybe Lewis did. This thread is on his beliefs on creation and evolution.