View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 02:05 AM   #12
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The cut and fashioned bit was discussed in my essay. That's my opinion on the explanation here.

Good points about the world being 'broken and remade anew', although I think that probably referred more to the time when the world will indeed be shattered by Morgoth, and remade again after his supposed defeat in the Last Battle. I remember a quote in the Sil that talks about the Dwarves having a legend that says they will assist Aule in building the world again after the Last Battle; don't have the book to hand, so I can't give you it exactly. You probably know what I'm talking about.

No; it's a good theory, but I don't think it fits. The Drowning of Beleriand happened right after the War of Wrath; why would Eonwe worry about not finding the Silmarils until after that, only a life of Men or less ahead? The removal of the Undying Lands from the physical world may constitue a breaking and renewing of the world, though. But I don't think Beleriand, internal Earthly turmoils or Numenor would mean much to that effect. Another explanation could also be that Eonwe was simply mistaken -- who said he was infallible?

Thanks for the comments on the essay, and Sharku for correcting my post. All I want is Ron in here so I can get the damn thing published on the main site...
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote