View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Boromir was described as being a sturdy bloke wasn't he? And Hobbits are fat by nature and preference - Fatty Bolger must have been a really big lad then. Dwarves are also stocky, so I don't think Tolkien built anything into his works about people being fat or thin having any consequence much. Maybe if we imagine Elves as thin that's us as readers projecting ideas about 'perfection' onto them?
I like that idea quite a bit.

As for hobbits, I think Tolkien allowed more of a breadth size wise for them, especially when you come upon their actual names they give to one another, like 'fatty'. Then again, what is considered 'overweight' by our standards might mean something quite different to a hobbit of 'good standing'. Thankfully, Tolkien tended to go into more detail with hobbits than some other races, but I don't think he was convicted with a twinge of malice against certain characters based on their physical predicament.

Somewhat facial/eye and mostly mentally wise he certainly does in a way that we know he's talking about someone like Saruman and not Gandalf for example.

As for other forms of 'large', there is the such form of a larger frame, which he uses in Boromir's case. Though, I am not sure, but that is probably more an eludement to his character/mental state and birth, especially how Tolkien compares his height, etc, right next to that of Aragorn via Frodo's observation.

So again, it seems more based upon such as what is used in art history often, the 'psychological portrait' (where the 'inner state' is reflected in the eyes and especially facial form of a person. Done mostly by northern Renaissance artists and later Baroque artists, good example: Rembrandt).

I think it is more of that case, and with that I think Tolkien does an amazing job at, because I don't see him spending too much time on the physical than he has to. Except in certain cases, and it is either to increase the sheer 'light and beauty' or 'darkness/malice' of a being or act.
Which makes sense getting a strong point across.

So yep, there's my little cents on the matter.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote