View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 AM   #52
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
And I never, ever want to hear from the so called Tolkien scholarly community, doing shadow work for their friends in the Estate, about how the upcoming movies are a travesty and went beyond their scope.

Fat chance.
Exactly - because New Line & Jackson know what their limitations are regarding what material they can & cannot use. If they choose to make a movie within those restrictions & mess up, it will be their fault. NL & Jackson are not victims here. If they want to avoid the kind of criticisms you're talking about they can adapt other some writer's work - or come up with something original.

Plus, I do have to point out (again) that Jackson et al do not actually care what Tolkien wrote, & are prepared to alter & invent whatever nonsense they like to replace Tolkien's carefully & lovingly created work. If they had access to all of Tolkien's M-e writings it would not change anything - they will do what they want. And I think you'd find a much more antagonistic response from 'purists' if they did have access to all Tolkien's material & did what they did with LotR all over it....

Last edited by davem; 12-19-2007 at 12:54 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote