View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 05:56 PM   #189
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The constant rocking motion of the ship had undone Bregand's stomach. He stood on the deck of the Silver Wyrm and watched the lands on his maps float by, unheeded. He felt a flicker of excitement, but mostly just naseous. On the deck it was easier to keep his food down. The air was crisp and he could see the motion. In his cabin, which he shared with Tareth, the rocking and stuffy air had kept him bedridden. He wondered if the crew would mind him sleeping on the deck.

Between heaves he noticed another non-crew member on the deck. It was late, so this surprised him. Bregand steeled himself and walked over the the lone figure. It was Calimir and he seemed lost in his own thoughts.

"Does the ship not agree with you either, friend?"

The elf took a long moment to reply. "It's not the ship, Bregand, it is the sea. Every moment we grow closer. Already the gulls are crying and my heart is full of unrest."

Bregand knew of the sea longing from history and tales. He was surprised that Calimir had agreed to this leg of the journey, and that the other elves seemed unaffected. On the other hand, he was of a race that had once ruled the seas and he couldn't keep his rations from feeding the fish. He put a comforting hand on Calimir's arm.

"I have seen many things on this journey, and the sea is only one new thing to me. One I could live without, to be honest. But I know it's different for you, and if the concern of one lowly mortal makes any difference to you, I do feel for you."

With that eloquent thought he ran to the other side of the ship and continued his campaign of fish meal provision.

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: The X Phial ]