View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 11:30 AM   #194
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

In truth, down in her heart, Ani Dao knew she’d never cross the sea. It was rare even for Silvan elves, as was Ani Dao, to do. None-the-less, the sea had called still every time she boarded a ship. However, as the years went by, the calls become less apparent, and soon, the captain hoped, they would grow to be altogether dormant.

The weather was beautiful the first night on the ship and Ani Dao left her cabin to walk around the deck, enjoying the cool breeze. She watched Talon and Ghyer work during their watch, since they were new. They seemed very competent of what they were doing. The reason Ani Dao had allowed them to sign on in the first place was because the elf’s friend, Ravenwyn, had said they were trust-worthy enough men that she had sailed with once or twice, or her father had.

Satisfied with the work aboard the Silver Wyrm, Ani Dao sat atop a pile of canvas extras to read through the Silver Wyrm’s log Wren had given her. Producing a quill she wrote down the names and positions of the crew along with a list of the passengers plus the date they set out.

She was almost finished when Wren brought her some tea and piece of licorice.

“I’ve been passing it out to all the passengers,” she said. “They’ve greatly appreciated it. I’m glad I thought to stop by the apothecary.” Ani Dao nodded.

“Hope ye haven’t tempted any of my hands,” she said mockingly. Wren shrugged her shoulders.

“Horenpil, Othan and Bayor took some licorice. But I think they just wanted something sweet.” Ani Dao laughed softly and went back to work on the log.

Wren left the captain and made her way back down to her cabin. She opened her trunk and began shuffling through it looking for something to read. Then she came across her sketchbook and opened the pocket in the lid of the trunk for her box of charcoals. She pulled them out and stood, placing them on the desk that folded down from the wall.

The noblewoman sat and began to draw. The first picture was of Culfin, her horse she had left with Ani Dao. It was nicely shaded, and one could pick out the different splotches of sorrel and white color on the overo. Her second drawing was of Ani Dao. She made her ears less pointy than other elves because to Wren, the captain was more man than elf. She put her in the captain’s clothes she wore now and tall black boots.

Suddenly, Turthôl appeared at the door. Wren looked up. Yes?" she asked. "Is your stomack ok?"

"Oh, yeah, its better," he replied. Then he fell silent, and looked as though he had forgotten how to speak.

“Well?” she asked.

“Can I have more licorice?” he blurted out. Wren smiled.

“Of course. I gave it to Carmalita to keep in her room. I thought she should be more or less, in charge of it. I’ll come with you.” She shut her sketchbook and placed her charcoals back in their box before leading Turthôl towards Carmalita’s room. They passed Hach on his way back to the galley.

“Mr. Hach!” called Wren. The sailor stopped and turned, two pewter pots in his hands. “Is Carmalita in the galley?” The man nodded.

“Yes she is, Miss. Labeling those herbs and spices she’s got. Ye need her?” Wren smiled and pointed to Turthôl who batted her hand away.

“Licorice,” she said. Mr. Hach nodded and beckoned them forward. Carmalita was just packing away her many pouches and wrapping her mortar and pestle away when they entered. She looked up and nodded knowingly, pointing to her second bag. Wren opened it and pulled out two sticks of licorice, handing them to Turthôl. He pocketed one and put the other in his mouth.

“Mm,” he said. “Thanks.” Wren took two also and followed the ranger out of the galley up to the quarter deck.