View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #123
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
You may not believe there was a desire to get under the protection of the crown, but there clearly was. Fangorn, Dale, The Lonely Mountain, the Shire and the Druadon forest are several such areas, which were under Aragorn's protection Why wouldn't the elves?
Because none of these paces bent the metaphorical knee and begged Aragorn to take them under his wing. Because Aragorn protected whoever needed protection without requiring that they ask it of him, or that they trade their idependence for it. Because the Elves can and did take help and protection from Men, and would take it again, but not at the price of colonizing them.

Quote:
You have yet to give a valid reason why the elves alone would not be under his protection when their numbers were dwindling and there were still many foes to subdue?
They would not not be under his protection. They would not be under his protection in return for sovereignty. You have to give a reason why they would all of a sudden, after 3 Ages of forming their relationships, decide that they want to go under Men's rule. Protection is not a reason; Aragorn offered and gave aid to whoever needed it without requiring that they become his subjects. A mutual understanding does not ammount to sovereignty.

Quote:
Why is Arwen Queen of Elves then?
She couldn't be in any realistic way. Legate does a great job describing it.

Quote:
That apart there have been many men that have ruled over elves. Tuor commanded the exiles of Gondolin, whilst Dior was accepted the Half-elven king of Doriath.
Tuor lead the exiles of Gondolin, Turin gave Beleg some orders, and there are possibly a few others. As it happens, neither is King, neither demands of the Elves to swear fealty or to formally become his subjects. It all depends on the Elves' free will. As it happens, I don't see the Elves all rushing to Gondor. If Aragorn would have asked them to do something, I'm sure they would have helped him. But he cannot command them. He is not their King in any formal sense.

Quote:
No the King of Dale himself recognises Aragorn's overlordship and willingly submits to his empire. Why would he not want to be part of Aragorn's empire? Aragorn's empire would be similar to the Roman empire of latter days. Most free people of the West, who were not friends of Sauron would want to be part of it.
At least because people too have their personal pride. Because you don't go to the winner and say can I join you. The people of the West all had a mutual relationship with Aragorn that if one needs help the other gives it. Is that what you consider to be overlordship? In that case, go ahead.

Quote:
Yes, but not in the way you think. Sauron was trying to daunt and control Galadriel, but reading another persons mind was something impossible. The quotes come from Morgoth's ring. It just could not be done even by the Valar.

If you flick through the books you will see how Faramir and Denethor can read the hearts of men too.
Many men can read others' hearts. So could Galadriel. But the cannonical text says that Galadriel knew Sauron's mind. Can you argue that Galadriel was then lying about it?

Quote:
Elrond himself said

She (Arwen) is too far above you.

Gilraen had previously said this.

Your aim is high even for the descendant of many kings. For this lady is the noblest and fairest than now walks the earth.

Why is it strange that such a woman would be Queen of the remaining elves? Especially as we are told that fact?
For all that she is great and fair and etc, what has she done for the Elves that they elect her their Queen?

Quote:
I never said it did, but just that greatness did not mean power. Only when Tolkien used the word mighty did he mean power.
This is a hard thing to agrue, because what do you mean by power? To me, power is both greatness and might, both innate and political and physical and whatever other connotation you could find.

Quote:
Arwen and even Aragorn do not just have a vague claim to these lands. By right they have inherited these lands through many branches of the family and being great and noble rulers, the people would want them as rulers.
Would they? Would they really want someone else ruling over them, no matter how mighty/great/powerful? After Ages of controling themselves? Put yourself in your situation. Imagine your country's ruler would disappear, and a neighbouring country would say that it's taking you under it's protection and control. Would you praise it for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
Galadriel was able to see that Gandalf was alive, while for Elrond everything lies under a shadow, so she send Gwaihir to look for Gandalf, that shows that she even had some athority over the eagles, strange for someone being banned.
I generally agree with what you're saying, but not with this. I think she only "sent" Gwaihir because he allowed her to send him. It's not an authority, it's Gwaihir's helpfulness.

Quote:
Even at the end of the Third Age, Mirkwood alone had thousands of elves. As I said before a conservative estimate would be around 5,000.
Yes, Mirkwood alone, which is of the Avari and none of Arwen's inheritance anyways.

Quote:
Not of all of them, there would be a few Sindar and Nandor amongst them.
Sindar and Nandor that accepted Thranduil as their King, not Arwen as their Queen.

Quote:
There was enough power in Lindon to withstand Sauron for a while, even at the end of the third age. There was probably a few thousand elves still living there.
Did Sauron now magically fly over the entire Western part of ME to get to Lindon? It was not directly attacked in any way at the end of the TA.

Quote:
Greatest does not mean powerful and I have provided evidence for this too. Glaurung was called the greatest of the dragons, but Ancalagon was the most powerful and the mightiest.
Well, actually, in this case I would say that Glaurung is both greatest in terms of deeds and innate power, and Ancalagon mostly in terms of physical strength.

Quote:
Yep both are true. Elrond was the greatest lore master and he alone knew the full account of many of the stories. Galadriel passed into the east very early in Beleriand. Elrond fought in the Last Alliance, fought alongside Numenor and was there when Sauron was defeated.
Sure, and Elrond wasn't even born when Galadriel "passed into the East". Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur
Foresight includes knowledge of the future. The only person who had greater knowledge of the future than Elrond was Cirdan. I have read up on this and it was due to a special gift he received from the Valar, because of his great sacrifice for others. Cirdan could see the future about ever aspect of Middle Earth and he alone surpassed Elrond.
Foresight is not the same as knowledge of the future. Foresight more of a foreboding (but could also be in a positive sense), and knowledge is for sure. Galadriel had both the foresight and the knowledge.

You completely disregard Galadriel's talents. No one is saying that Elrond and Cirdan don't have it, just that having it doesn't outmaster Galadriel - who happens to have it too.

Quote:
Yet there is an inbetween race the Half-Elven. The sons of Elrond are not included among the Elves.
Not for long. Every half-elf has to make a choice. Mortal or Elf. You cannot live as a peredhil forever.

Quote:
Elrond is never called an elf lord.
And? His daughter is named one of the Eldar.

Quote:
Aragorn says Elrond is the oldest of his race.
Seeing as he's his uncle a bagillion times removed I wouldn't doubt it. Aragorn was not 100% man either, though he was enough Man to be mortal and not half-elf.

Plus, if you take this as an argument that Elrond is never incuded in the Eldar, you are arguing that either Aragorn is half-elven or that Elrond is a Man, and that is not true.

Quote:
Usurping power is wrong, when an authoritative figure has not yet erred. To disagree with his council is fine and it is actually Elrond, who is the one constantly rejecting and arguing against Saruman. That apart Saruman was once great and wise. He was appointed as head of the order by the Valar and the wisest of the Maiar, Gandalf accepted this.
Usurping whose power? The power of someone who was not yet appointed to his position? Being head of the Istari does not automatically make you head of all the councils and whatnot.