View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #129
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
That´s right she is never called the mightiest of the Noldor, but it is strongly implied. In what else should she be his equal then? Proabaly Tolkien just don´t got arond saying she was with Feanor the mightiest or thought that the "greatest" term says it all.
No it is not strongly implied. She is said to be mighty among the Noldor, but not one of the mightiest.
Quote:
"How could she possibly no more about Gondolin" maybe becasue she visited?!!? There is no prove and even if she didt visit, King of Gondolin was her cousin, so one cold assme that she knew alot abot it.
Gondolin was a secret city, that no one was allowed to enter. Galadriel did not visit the place.
Quote:
Galadriel spoke to people Elrond never spoke to, the Valar and that surely leaves a deeper mark than Elrond talking with some men.
Yes it has a mark, but we are talking about all lore. The Noldor actually were not as close the Valar as were the Vanyar. They tended to stay in Tirion.
Quote:
I´m pretty sure she knew the sons of Feanor very well, growing up with them.
She did not associate with them. Elrond was raised by them especially and Galadriel's time with them was before there deeds in ME.
Quote:
Quote please.
Then suddenly the foresight of his kindred came to him, and he said: "But lo! Master Elrond, the years of your abiding run short at last, and the choice must soon be laid on your children to part either with you or with Middle-earth."

In Middle-earth dwelt also Gil-galad the High King, and with him was Elrond Half-elven, who chose, as was granted to him, to be numbered among the Eldar; but Elros his brother chose to abide with Men. And from these brethren alone has come among Men the blood of the Firstborn and a strain of the spirits divine that were before Arda; for they were the sons of Elwing, Dior's daughter, Luthien's son, child of Thingol and Melian; and Earendil their father was the son of Idril Celebrindal, Turgon's daughter of Gondolin" -War of Wrath, Silmarillion

Aragorn's 'healing' might be considered as 'magical', or at least a blend of magic with pharmacy and 'hypnotic' processes. But it is (in theory) reported by hobbits who have very little notions of philosophy and science; while Aragorn is not a pure 'Man', but a long remove on of the 'children of Luthien'-letter 155

But suddenly some power, descended from of old from divine race, possessed Lúthien, and casting back her foul raiment she stood forth, small before the might of Carcharoth, but radiant and terrible. Lifting up her hand she commanded him to sleep, saying: 'O woe-begotten spirit, fall now into dark oblivion, and forget for a while the dreadful doom of life.' And Carcharoth was felled, as though lightning had smitten him.-Silmarillion

Pengolodh here elaborates (though it is not necessary for his argument) this matter of "foresight". No mind, he asserts, knows what is not in it. All that it has experienced is in it, though in the case of the Incarnate, dependent upon the instruments of the hröa, some things may be "forgotten", not immediately available for recollection. But no part of the "future" is there, for the mind cannot see it or have seen it: that is, a mind placed in time. Such a mind can learn of the future only from another mind which has seen it. But that means only from Eru ultimately, or mediately from some mind that has seen in Eru some part of His purpose (such as the Ainur who are now the Valar in Eä). An Incarnate can thus only know anything of the future, by instruction derived from the Valar, or by a revelation coming direct from Eru. But any mind, whether of the Valar or of the Incarnate, may deduce by reason what will or may come to pass. This is not foresight, not though it may be clearer in terms and indeed even more accurate than glimpses of foresight. Not even if it is formed into visions seen in dream, which is a means whereby "foresight" also is frequently presented to the mind.
Minds that have great knowledge of the past, the present, and the nature of Eä may predict with great accuracy, and the nearer the future the clearer (saving always the freedom of Eru). Much therefore of what is called "foresight" in careless speech is only the deduction of the wise; and if it be received, as warning or instruction, from the Valar, it may be only deduction of the wiser, though it may sometimes be "foresight" at second hand
-Vinyar Tengwar

True foresight where one really sees the future can only come from the Ainur. Usually it is from divine revelation from the Valar. The foresight in just predicting the future; all of the Wise have.
Quote:
Where is it stated?
I thought it was obvious from the quote that Cirdan's foresight exceeded EVEN Elrond, Celeborn and Galadriel.. Elrond once again is especially singled out ahead of Celeborn and Galadriel.
Quote:
I agree with Cirdan but I really don´t know what makes you think that Elrond has this power. Where is it stated or implied? Only being a decendant of Melian does not make you stronger than other elves (if we leave Luthien ot). Elwing and Dior obviosly were not more mighty, same goes with Arwen and the twins.
Dior defeated one of the strongest sons of Feanor and we know litte else of his deeds. Elwing learns to talk to birds and can fly. Have you seen any elf fly?

As for Cirdan, I have already provided the quote, that his knowledge exceeding Elrond in particular was noted.
Quote:
I can show yo a qote that he was connted as one of the Eldar!
It was so hard to find it.
No that quote just shows he would have eternal life, in the same way Elros would be mortal.
Quote:
Wow, that would be really new to me.
Good good. It is always nice to learn something new.

I suppose that actually the chief difficulties I have involved myself in are scientific and biological — which worry me just as much as the theological and metaphysical (though you do not seem to mind them so much). Elves and Men are evidently in biological terms one race, or they could not breed and produce fertile offspring – even as a rare event : THERE ARE ONLY 2 CASES only in my legends of such unions, and they are merged in the descendants of Eärendil.1 But since some have held that the rate of longevity is a biological characteristic, within limits of variation, you could not have Elves in a sense 'immortal' – not eternal, but not dying by 'old age' — and Men mortal, more or less as they now seem to be in the Primary World – and yet sufficiently akin. I might answer that this 'biology' is only a theory, that modern 'gerontology', or whatever they call it, finds 'ageing' rather more mysterious, and less clearly inevitable in bodies of human structure. But I should actually answer: I do not care. This is a biological dictum in my imaginary world. It is only (as yet) an incompletely imagined world, a rudimentary 'secondary'; but if it pleased the Creator to give it (in a corrected form) Reality on any plane, then you would just have to enter it and begin studying its different biology, that is all. -Letter 153

The part in capital is my own.
Quote:
Well, I never saw him writing: The elves of the third age and Elrond half-elven. It´s just always the elves or Eldar.

One example:

I would gues that Elrond could go too, but he didn´t wrote "The promise made to the Eldar and the Peredhil..." so Tolkien is talking in generel in these aspeks and even if he really wants to avoid calling him an elf, in this matter it is correct, cause this Peredhil belongs to the elves.
No he is speaking about the promise made to the Elves. The promise was not the one given to the Half-Elven. Perhaps you should read full the entire quote, before you provide it, because it might actually come back to disproof what you are tempting to proof.

The full quote actually shows that Elrond and the Half-elven are once again separated from the Eldar.

"But the promise made to the Eldar (the High Elves- not to other varieties, they had long before made their irrevocable choice, preferring Middle-earth to paradise) for their sufferings in the struggle with the prime Dark Lord had still to be fulfilled: that they should always be able to leave Middle-earth, if they wished, and pass over Sea to the True West, by the Straight Road, and so come to Eressea - but so pass out of time and history, never to return. The Half-elven, such as Elrond and Arwen, can choose to which kind and fate they shall belong: choose once and for all. Hence the grief at the parting of Elrond and Arwen."-letter 154

Quite clear he mentions the Eldar and then address Elrond and Arwen separately showing he does not include them with the elves.
Quote:
"To me it seemed exceedingly strange," said Boromir. "Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose;" Boromir

Boromir said that she was reading his mind and he shold now it.
It seems Tolkiens proved himself otherwise or he just changed his mind on this matter.
Boromir was from Gondor and wrong about many things. He had let superstition cloud his judgement. Tolkien's words on reading the mind come after LOTR was published.

Tolkien was influenced by Christianity in his work and one key part of Christianity is that only God can read a person's mind. This is why he went to great pains to clarify the situation after LOTR.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote