View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #154
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
He wasn't that would be Glorfindel, but he is an exceptional case. His powers were greatly enhanced after his return.
I can't say who exactly is the most powerful Elf in Rivendell. Certainly there were few left for;

"here in Rivendell there live still some of his chief foes: the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power." [FotR, Bk: 2; ch. 1, p. 269]

Gandalf expounds on the qualities of some of these lords dwelling in Rivendell to Frodo. There were Elves from Aman of great power dwelling there. Who the greatest of them is I cannot guess. Glorfindel points out to Aragorn and the Hobbits;

"There are few, even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south." [bk:1, ch. 12, p. 256]