View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #83
Chathol-linn
Animated Skeleton

Chathol-linn has just left Hobbiton.
Seregon's story

The green-clad woman bowed in return to the man who approached her. She guessed at once that he was the proprietor; he had both an apron and a sense of authority, of belonging with the tavern. Seregon wished she had her own place, her own apron, and her own sense of belonging.

Oh, well. First things first. “Master Innkeeper, my name is Seregon. I would trouble you for a drink of water, if I may, and a confession. For I came over your back yards yonder and climbed your apple tree. While there I glimpsed a merry show through the chamber’s window, though I did not mean to spy. Who was that pretty maid and the half-clad stranger? And I ate one of your apples. I was so hungry it was like a feast, although a little on the green side.”

“What is my business in Laketown? Well, threefold. My sisters and I heard of the great undertaking to rebuild the town. We wished to have a part in it. With no dragon around, Laketown can be the best place to live in Middle-earth! Then, we have been followed for two days. Being weaponless, we thought we should find a haven, the sooner the better. I do not know who followed, but if it was a beast, it will run from a settlement.

“Finally, we can go no further. We used up our last provisions yesterday. But now we are here, and we have a plan to achieve our desires. Will you just direct me to your Lawspeaker or Mayor or what have you? For we wish to take up residence in one of those unused fields outside of town, with permission. We are from a farming clan and know how to produce the most delicious food.

“Now this is a lot to speak of on first acquaintance and may be you’ll want to take your measure of me. By your leave I will sit among your guests for a while.”

With that Seregon sat – collapsed, really - on the bench next to a young lad with a sad face. Poor lad, she thought, the world should be kinder to children. But then she felt only weariness. She could sleep standing up. Her head nodded. Her eyes had to close.

Just a nap, she thought. With that Seregon slipped onto the Path of Dreams. Her nap did not last long however. Just as the innkeeper was backing away from the sleeping woman, she jumped up with a yelp. “Something grabbed my leg! Something touched my boot! Does your inn have ghosts, sir?”