View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #32
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
By the by, no problem with the Aragorn/Boromir discussion in this thread, as I may have been the one who started it in the first place. Let's just try to draw from the sequence at hand or those preceding for examples when making a point - except when I just can't help myself and jump ahead a movie or two .

Anyway, just wanted to point out that in this sequence, Boromir does not acknowledge Aragorn's kingship, which he does just before his death in Sequence 13. How he decides that Aragorn would be a "Lord of Gondor," I don't really get, and so can only speculate. Up to this time in the movie, the only thing that Aragorn has done on the plus side was to save Boromir's life in Moria. Yes, Aragorn leads them all into Lothlorien, but to me that's not enough to change Boromir's mind regarding this Ranger. Could it be that Boromir, in his despairing, wants Aragorn to be the saviour that he and his people have sought? Think about it: Boromir is trying to bring aid to his city, and sees the Ring or the Ranger as two possible solutions.

He's drowning, and so grasps at any hope. Aragorn has no siren song, and actually has stated that he doesn't want the responsibility. The Ring, on the other hand, assures Boromir that it can can bring victory. Boromir knows that the Ring might be lying, but he's still not sure. Galadriel most likely inflames the concern in Boromir's heart, and she may have made him even more desperate.