View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 01:41 AM   #140
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If you can't find a book and it's still published, go to Barnes & Noble and they will order it you you free of charge and you still don't even have to buy it when it arrives if you want a different edition (like if you wanted one not paperback or something).

I'm one of those people who has been into Toklien a relatively short period of time. The day the first DVD came out to be exact. I preordred it, picked it up, and watched it, not expecting much. But I was swept away and wondered how I went to song without it. And I though that Gandalf was dead and it upset me at the time. Ah, ignorance. Now people who know me will tell you it's part of who I am. So much that I feel wrong in myself if I don't have something on me that I'm wearing, be it the Evenstar, Nenya, the Ring itself.... And I'm antsy without a book, or at least the books on DVD if I'm driving, as I did today to go rescue my boyfriend when his car brokw down south of San Francisco.

Still, there are Newbies and then there are Dummies. The Newbies are the ones who are new and trying. They don't know a whole lot in any sense and they know that and are find learning. The Dummies are the ones who like to think they know it all, yet think Elves lived in the Shire. No, the insist Elves live in the Shire because Hobbits live in Mordor. And you can show them proof and they insist that the book is wrong. One of my idiot cousins actually did that-insisted the book was wrong and that Elves do, in fact, live in the Shire. *sigh* And she claims to be an expert. And, sadder still, she knows more about the books than any of her friends. When asked who wrote them, she guessed wrong. Then one of my aunts and her brother came to her defense saying that she read the books before me (sadly true, but she obviously didn't retain any information) and, therefore, knows more than I do. Uh-huh, right. Whatever. Who's Shelob? Who's Tom Bombadil? Apparently I made them up, according to them. Yet they claim the idiot is right and that I must have paid to have an altered copy made. Yeah. The one I was using is quarter-bound in leather and expensive as it was, and there's no way I could afford, or want to, have a wrong copy.

When I went to the midnight opening of RotK, a girl came dressed in a starlingly beautiful replica of Eowyn's green gown. Someone asked her who she was dressed as and she mentioned, "That blonde Elf chick." I broke in and asked if she meant Galadriel since she didn't wear green, though Eowyn wore a gown nearly identical to what she was wearing. And she said no, the Elf that the main guy liked. Um, Arwen wasn't blonde.... I tried telling her that, and she argued with me because she thought she knew all there was to know about LotR (so much she didn't know the names of Arwen or Aragorn). And probably felt dumb when the movie started and she was proven wrong. How much attention did she pay to the movies before it? Or did she only watch Orli? (I'll admit he's hot as hell, but I paid attention to more than just him!)

Yeah, Dummies who don't now character names, even main ones, and who don't know their butts from their elbows and try to act like know-it-alls are just downright irritating.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote