View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #579
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Brokhelm now at the table, replied to the innkeeper's question, “Dear Lady, Master Eodwine had left his yarn for us to finish the weaving. And it seems I now sit at the loom. He crinkled one eye shut as he plumbed his memory for all he had learned of the Shire on the long march to Morannon. “Yes, my turn has come, and what a puzzle this young lady has left me!” he said softly. But within a few moments his blue eyes flashed, and suddenly he grinned at Saeryn as she leaned back in her chair. “Sherbet, you say? Very well then, sherbet it is!”

Adopting a secretive tone, he leaned forward toward his listeners, looking from one to the other as he spoke. “Ah, this plan of Gob and Twiddle’s was so fine in their estimation, such a delectably smooth way of slipping out of their work while accomplishing much, that it drew attention whether spoken of in code or not. Of course it did aid them somewhat, that in his satisfaction with the code-name, which happened to correspond with an item of the greatest value to Gob, he pronounced it a golden plan. For having a hankering for sweets, that far surpassed his girth, he was thinking in particular of a rich sherbet that he had tasted oh so very long ago. So refreshing it loomed in his mind’s eye, that Gob grew a bit livelier than was his normal wont, for he was hungry and ready to test their strategy as Twiddle whispered its merits. ‘Right golden it is!’ Gob said again a bit louder this time as he heard the familiar squeak of a cart. And that comment did not go by unnoticed.

“A rather aged halfling that was returning up the hill, pushing a rickety barrow full of bricks stopped cold to hear the word ‘gold’ uttered on this particular hill. It must have thrown his thoughts back to better days, for his back straightened considerably as he let go the handles, his barrow tipping over with a clatter.

“Both Twiddle and Gob turned quickly to see just who it was that would sneak up on them, and finding only one old halfling, they leaned on their shovels as they addressed their elder, telling him with a wink not to worry. If they were set to dig up this hole, than dig it up they would. Though how one could dig up a hole was quite a matter of debate, for a hole was naught but air, and the more one dug down to pry the air out, the bigger ity became. And as they had understood it, it certainly was not in the spirit of their orders to enlarge any of the halflings’ dwellings!

“The old one, paid this banter no heed, but with eyes all a-glitter said he had overheard them speak of gold. Thinking quickly, Gob looked at the halfling and told him plainly that he heard aright. And Twid joined in, furthering their plan by claiming that since this treasure did not belong to them, they had decided to leave it be, for they were honest men and not scoundrels.

“The halfling sighed; replying that such things had best be kept secret from Sharkey’s men, and easily extracted a vow from the two, not to tell anyone of their find. But as an aside, he himself was bold enough to ask just where this treasure had been found.

Both men looked solemnly at their feet, as if to say right here, and the halfling’s eyes followed their glance, nodding his understanding.
Then lifting his head, fringed as it was with downy hair, Gob blinked his heavy lids quite innocently at Twiddle, and exclaimed ‘I suppose there might be more to be found around and about. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised, Twid, if a dragon of old had its roost on this here Hill.’

‘Sure as day, these hobbits are brave enough to drive off a dragon, no matter how wily.’ Twiddle replied, ‘Aren’t you now?’

The old halfling muttered that he knew of one old dragon in the Shire that was in great need of being driven off. And it was at just that time that Gob saw in his mind the Hill swarming with halflings in the moonlight, all of them armed with shovels and pick axes. And as he idily looked at the black smoke rising from the mill, the plan to Share in the hole removal and excavation quickly changed to Sharkey’s & Henchmen’s rapid eradication. Clearly they could not be seen as home wreckers then but heroes. And the beauty of the plan was that even if the halflings were found to be gathering together in rebellion, he and Gob might find a way to slip away, or at the very least the halflings might finish digging up the hill for them as they looked for imagined treasure.

“But before either Gob or Twiddle could be quite certain that the old fellow had taken the bait, one of the ruffians sauntered over to see what was transpiring, and the hobbit trundled off, quick as you like, down the hill.

“‘Get back to work, digging up them holes!’ the man yelled roughly, threatening to cuff them.

“‘Hang on now, we’ve just been working at it. We’ve been working at it quite hard’ Twiddle replied with injured tone, his hat toppling off as he wiped his brow. Their guardian leered at them menacingly.

“Tell me what would you expect happened then?” Brokhelm asked. “For I myself am unsure of what came next.” And Brokhelm looked around for any takers. “Perhaps you would like to take up your story again, young Miss?” he queried Saeryn. “Or would one of the others care to relate the outcome,” he said looking from Gudryn to the dark haired girl who listened in silence. Finally his gaze rested on the hobbit. “I think Master Falco must be amused by my poor depiction of his homeland, but I have yet to set eyes on that place.”

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 12-05-2005 at 11:40 AM.