View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 PM   #176
Thalion
Haunting Spirit

Thalion has just left Hobbiton.
Two things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by obloquy
The quote supplied by the phantom about Feanor's might was from within the narrative and at a time when Luthien did not yet exist.
The first tales of Luthien existed in 1917 (BoLT2, p3 (The Tale of Tinuviel)...I believe before Feanor was thought up (or discovered )

Quote:
The only books you can quote from are The Hobbit and LotR, the rest was work in progress.
I think that is far stretch...if we can only quote for the the Hobbit and the LoTR, this is a rather short list with nearly no mention of 1st age elves and not much concerning peoples of the 2nd age......I think although CT did edit the Silmarillion and may have in fact included alternate versions of things (he clearly favors latter versions of the tale of Turin), I wouldn't venture to say that we can't trust anything except that which Tolkien published in his own lifetime...as a perfectionist, Tolkien himself didn't think he was finished with LoTR when he published it, but the publishers were demanding a book...besides, even if Tolkien had the lift of an elf, it is doubtless that his tales would ever be finished entirely as he was always in the process of re-writing...