View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #18
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
White Tree

Quote:
For they attributed to the king of old all their essential laws; and usually they kept the laws of free will, because they were The Rules (as they said), both ancient and just.
Quote:
How, in the name of Eru, can Hobbits keep the “laws of free will” because they are “The Rules”?
I think that's a very good question. Although, for me, Tolkien has made it quite clear. As Firefoot said earlier;
Quote:
1. They are peaceful, and do not like violence. 2. Hobbits like things that make sense
I do believe that Tolkien wrote in the Prologue (and later in LotR too, I think) that Hobbits loved peace and quiet. They didn't want to be disturbed by the "outside" world. I can't recall his exact words because my book isn't here.

But the question is how, even though they want peace and quite, they can keep such rules. Maybe they are just disciplined? Maybe it never occurred to them that they could do "otherwise?" As a matter of fact I think Tolkien once mentioned that Hobbits have a strong belief in the ordinary common sense, and that they use it. (I can't recall exactly where I read that, but I'll try and find it.)

Cheers,
Oro

EDIT: Didn't notice the last posts here...sorry.