View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:45 AM   #512
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aina
It is my experience that the villagers usually win. The good guys should always win.
Hmm. It doesn't seem to be going that way on the Barrow-Downs.

Clearly, in all three games so far (and whatever may come to pass in the current one), those playing the Werewolves have played extremely well, which accounts for a large part of their success.

But I do wonder whether the odds are stacked a little too much against the Villagers. While they have the advantage of numbers, the Villagers' accusations during the first day or so are almost entirely random. While it is possible to pick up on the things that are said or the way that they are said to identify a Werewolf, such things might also lead an innocent Villager to accuse the Seer or Guardian as being a Werewolf (believe me, I know ). The Werewolves, on the other hand, know who is innocent and can thus "guide" the accusations, while using what is said to try and identify the special Villagers themselves.

So, unless they strike lucky and hang a Werewolf on the first or second day, it is only on the third day that the Villagers can begin get any real idea as to who might be guilty. But, if two innocent Villagers have already been hung (particuarly one of the special Villagers), then those innocent Villagers who were instrumental in that are hampered in their ability to hunt out the Werewolves, being under continuous accusation themselves (again, I know this only too well ).

So, for the next game, I would propose two rule changes, either or both of which I hope will find favour.

First, while I like the idea of the moderator being killed on the first night, I do think that the Seer should be allowed to dream on the first night. This will make the deliberations on the first day, and possibly its outcome, slightly less random.

Secondly, I think that the Werewolves should be prohibited from talking behind the scenes (by PM) during the day. They can plan a strategy for the day during their night-time discussions but to give them the opportunity to coordinate what they do during the day as the day unfolds does, I think, give them rather too much power.

Finally, can I ask that the rule against discussing previous games be strictly enforced. And that should apply to comments on what might or might not be a good Werewolf strategy backed up by the fact that the speaker has previously been a Werewolf. By all means, ex-Werewolves can base their comments on having previously been a Werewolf, but they should not be allowed to refer to their previous role as a means of strengthening the force of what they are saying.

Just a few thoughts ...