View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #34
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Of course, Aiwendil wisely says "Helm's Deep" is "something" of a climax--a nice way to wiggle out from my disputation that this chapter is not, in fact, the true climax of Book III. I would agree that it is a false climax of sorts--and, certainly, the movies made it into the climax of the book--but the true climax of Book III is "The Voice of Saruman."
Well, perhaps "Helm's Deep" is not the tallest peak but it is a significant one. And though the logical conclusion is, as you well demonstrate, "The Voice of Saruman", the battle can rival it for the greatest emotional excitement. All the preceding events lead up to Helm's Deep progressively: the tension only builds. And logically it is just as you say, it all leads to Saruman - but emotionally, there is a gap that breaks the build-up effect. "The Road to Isengard" is somewhat slow and transitional in nature; though full of tension for the characters, it is more like waiting-time for the reader. Of course the worry and excitement come back when first we meet the hobbits again in a very merry chapter, and then we're anxious to know the result of the parley and we cross our fingers that Theoden will keep his head - but that seems like a peak of its own, isolated from the peak of Helm's Deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Like some of my ancient predecessors on this thread, my first thought reading through this time was that "Helm's Deep" is a rather short chapter--and, related to that, reading it through, it always seems a bit shorter reading it than movie-tinted memories make it. That said, I think it's better in the book, where the overall impression (and others above commented upon Tolkien's narrative methods) is of an actual battle--that is, Tolkien's narration feels closer akin to historical battle accounts (whether written or something filmed, like Band of Brothers to capture a historical account) than it does to the movie version of its account! I suspect, leaning on the foregoing posts here, that a great of this sense to me has to do with the pauses and waiting that are part of the battle. No doubt, the fact that Tolkien had actually participated in real battles aided their creation here.
I never counted the pages, but it always seemed a long chapter to me. You feel the time going slowly by. The attackers do this for a long time. Then they do that. Then there is a skirmish. Then people talk. Then they wait. Then they wait more. Then another fight breaks out, and it takes a long time to subdue. Is this night ever going to end? How many events can happen in just a single night! The chapter gives me more awareness of the time passing; it seems like a long chapter because it feels long. I suppose it's just as you said, a more believable version of a battle - you believe it more and you experience it better. I don't remember what exactly the movie has done with the battle, but if it really is long then it's definitely for a different reason.